Dolby Digital/DTS Decoding

Status
Not open for further replies.

nuoli

Beta member
Hi,

I've recently bought a set of Logitech X-530 speakers, which is an analog 5.1 surround sound system for my college dorm (I'm on a budget). Since my laptop doesn't come with onboard 5.1, I went the external route but stupidly bought a crap Starlogic "home theater" system off ebay. Although the sound-test works fine, I don't get much out of my rear speakers either in movies or in the upmix from stereo, so I'm real disappointed. (There's definately not a problem with the speakers). Right now, I'm considering the SB Live! 24-bit external (USB 1.1) and the Audigy 2NX (USB2.0), but I have a question about surround sound.

The Live! doesn't not have built-in dolby/dts decoding, but I use PowerDVD, which does. Since I only listen to music and watch DVDs, DVDs are the only time that I'd need dolby decoding. Do I need to purchase the Audigy in order to get true surround sound, or is software decoding fine? The Audigy also uses USB2.0 -- but again, I'm not really a hardcore audiophile, just a college student on a budget. I can't really seem to justify spending an extra $50 on the audigy, especially since the Live! seems identical to the extigy except for hardware decoding. What do you think?

correct me if im wrong anyone but im pretty sure that you would only get use of the decoders if you use a digital output for example an optical cable. eg. i have a 5.1 system with dolby digital/dts connected to my ps2 via optical to get the decoders to work on dvd's. I would say a PC would be the same. so those new Audigy sound cards have the optical output but im not exactly sure that its just plug and play like the ps2.

I have my system connected to my pc as well with the analog cables and you'll get all speakers going but no decoders

hope i helped ;)

OK, I get what you're saying, but perhaps I should rephrase. I've got an analog setup, and all I really want is true surround sound from DVDs encoded with Dolby/DTS (no upmixing). That is, I want five discrete channels of sound decoded from the digital stream -- I'm certain that PowerDVD can do this, but I don't know if I need my sound card to be able to decode as well. My crappy Starlogic actually appears to work for this right now, just sending the discrete channels out to the speakers; but again, my rear speakers seem real weak with this card, so I don't really know. Thanks for yor help, and any additiona advice would be appreciated.

Pretty much. I just want five individual channels from DVDs, and right now the audio quality is iffy at best, and yeah, the rear speakers are pissy. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom