does a sound card make a difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you can afford it, get m-audio 192 audiophile. it has 4 volt output, 113 signal to noise ratio (a-weighted) all at a disrtion ratio of .00006 percent.

a decent regular onboard sound spec might fall along this line. 60db s/n, 500 millivolts output (half a volt) at 1 (even 10percent) percent distortion

go the creative route if you can't afford m-audio.

everybody else seemed to cover the other reasons to upgrade to a outboard sound card.

EricB said:
If you can afford it, get m-audio 192 audiophile. it has 4 volt output, 113 signal to noise ratio (a-weighted) all at a disrtion ratio of .00006 percent.

a decent regular onboard sound spec might fall along this line. 60db s/n, 500 millivolts output (half a volt) at 1 (even 10percent) percent distortion

go the creative route if you can't afford m-audio.

everybody else seemed to cover the other reasons to upgrade to a outboard sound card.

eh im not really looking into spending much on a sound card probably 100 tops so internal sound card is alot better than external? **** it lol oh btw i think this may make a difference but the computer is sending audio to my reciever (harman/kardon avr3400? i forget the number) and then going to my speakers so is the sound getting processed by the reciever or no?

I meant pci card when I said outboard. anything is better than onboard. if the receiver accept digital inputs, then that is the best route to go

EricB said:
I meant pci card when I said outboard. anything is better than onboard. if the receiver accept digital inputs, then that is the best route to go

i believe it does

Lol EricB you were going onabout noise ratio and distortion ratio.... remember this guy doesnt even know wether sound cards are better :). (No Offence)

well you dont know my history with audio either i mean i know jack **** about sound cards and what they do but i know a good thing about home theater applications and car audio so i understood what ericb was talking about.

but im a total noob when it comes to sound cards im not gonna lie

NewCents05 is into good sound, so he going in the right direction. we all have started from somewhere. if you are into good sound, you can only go up

If you are looking for gaming features, hardware acceleration and widespread support, creative is almost the only way to go. If you are looking for good sound quality, steer away if possible, especially the Audigy line.

M-Audio and E-MU make great sound cards in terms of sound quality. If you need more features, the Auzentech cards are not bad.

003 said:
If you are looking for gaming features, hardware acceleration and widespread support, creative is almost the only way to go. If you are looking for good sound quality, steer away if possible, especially the Audigy line.

M-Audio and E-MU make great sound cards in terms of sound quality. If you need more features, the Auzentech cards are not bad.

well i heard somewhere that hardware acceleration for sound cards on vista isnt capable or something? or am i mistaken?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom