does a sound card make a difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewCents05

Daemon Poster
I'm debating whether or not i should get a sound card? I mainly listen to rap and bass is an important part to my listening experience. I dont really see what a sound card can do for me that the onboard sound card can not do. Can somebody give me some insight on what would drive me to get a sound card? I was thinking it would provide less distortion than the onboard sound which would be good for my subwoofers.

right now my system connected to my desktop are 2 athena as-b2s, 2 rockford fosgate 5.25in FRC4205 speakers, 2 rockford fosgate 5.25 RFP-1405 and the subs are 2 12in fi audio ssds on a 1000 watt dayton amp

Ok to be honest just looking at this system its not your average pc speaker setup is it now... A sound card would no doubt be a huge improvement though. Your subs will be less prone to be bottoming out at low frequencies. All over sound will be produced with a lot more clarity aswell. With that system you will certainly get a gain from a sound card.

But i would wait to see what EricB has to say about this, im unsure of how and if you could connect all this up to a soundcard.

Thanks.

same way i have it hooked up now basically its just plugged into the onboard sound via rca to 1/8th headphone wire.

yes, get a new soundcard. onboard sound has a limitied frequency range and lots of noise. get a new soundcard, please. your music will be clearer, more accurate, less distorted, and will thank you for proper reproduction.

As above, it will sound better basically, especially in games you will hear sounds you never even knew were there! and everything is just better sounding, plus if you get a good enough card it you can turn on X-Fi in certain games that can make use of it, i.e battlefield games.
Also after getting my X-Fi Xtreme audio it has made my sub seem more alive and much more bass.
Definatly get one ;)

They make a difference, but the difference may not be 60+ dollars worth. That's for you to decide, methinks. Are you content with average sound?

Crysalis said:
this thread actually happened???!!!

oh my

lol well i dunno i cant really see how it could sound clearer with a sound card the onboard sound card is half decent i dont mind it at all and i dont really hear any noise either but now another question how much of a difference will i hear from an external sound card and an internal. cause i can get a pretty good deal for an audigy 2 nx, but its external so im not sure if itll be better or worse...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom