"Digitally Remastered"? Pfff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oreo

-Deactivated-
Okay so out of interest i discovered Sting - Fiels of Gold album, i took a listen. It sounded brilliant, so i am interested in the digitally remastered album i found in the cupboard too. I thought, why change something that was all ready very good ? I put the CD in and was shocked, Dynamics dissapeared, it was way louder than the original, quite a bit more bass - and the upper end was duller.

I don't know why they call it remastered, it sounded far worse in my opinion - is this common of "digitally remastered" albums?

i think it all depends on the "remasterer" ...but it's to add more depth

Sounds like it was over compressed....common in recordings made today.

Everybody wants everything to be louder....i still think one of the best mixed
and mastered albums is metallicas black album which just blows me away
everytime i hear it.

Oh yeh, i managed to get that album - now, where did i put it..

rican, you should try Dire Straight private investigations on HDCD - it sounds awesome, especially if you do actually have a HDCD player, but it sounds excellent without it.

Sounds like it was over compressed....common in recordings made today.

Everybody wants everything to be louder....i still think one of the best mixed
and mastered albums is metallicas black album which just blows me away
everytime i hear it.

yes. this sound like the issue. people today like compressed (louder) sound over dynamics

Without dynamics it's really quite boring to listen to, good parts of a song arn't a highlight anymore - they just continue with the rest of the song and makes it boring.

Yeah, people don't seem to care if the sound is harsh and distorted for some reason.

I saw one of the guys that was at my high school recently (hadn't seen him in about 2 years), showing off his speaker system in his car.
The distortion was terrible. But he apparently didn't notice or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom