Digital out trouble...

Status
Not open for further replies.

AtomicAudio

Baseband Member
Hello, i wanted to use my digital out as i discovered i just have one... i have a
-Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 soundcard
-a Sony STR-DE305 stereo receiver
-Polk RTi4's and a custom sub...
when i change my feed to the yellow/orange output from the limegreen output, all i hear is sound coming out of the right speaker. no left sounds, no low frequency effects. and when i go to "Advanced Controls For Play Control" and select the "1 Digital Output Only", all i hear is StatiC coming from all speakers with very faint music that im playing. 95% is StatiC. i have my speaker settings set to stereo. can anyone help me? what can i do to use the digital output properly?

Hello,

Digital output from where...your PC's soundcard :rolleyes: ?

What is your entire setup? Is it, your stereo receiver connected to your PC's soundcard, and your speakers connected to the stereo receiver?

What cable are you using to connect your PC to your stereo receiver?

Also, what digital port are you using? An SPDIF port from a live drive?...

rev-sblive51-livedriveSM.jpg

-Yea, the yellow/orange digital output from the Soundblaster live! 5.1.
-My set up is simply a 2.1 consisting of a pair of bookshelf speakers, a powered subwoofer and a receiver...? Yes, my stereo receiver is connected to my pc's soundcard and the speakers connected to the receiver.
-It is connected with an RCA/3.5mm Adaptor.
-The digital out is a 3.5mm- just like the ipod jacks. or is that 1.8? the cellphones are 1.8 right?

>>>Hello,

Digital output from where...your PC's soundcard ?

What is your entire setup? Is it, your stereo receiver connected to your PC's soundcard, and your speakers connected to the stereo receiver?

What cable are you using to connect your PC to your stereo receiver?

Also, what digital port are you using? An SPDIF port from a live drive?...<<<

Hello,

What kind of RCA to 3.5mm adapter? This one?...

hf081201.jpg

...with the 3.5mm end connected to the orange digital out port on the soundcard, and the correct RCA plug connected to the digital in port of your sony stereo receiver?

Hello,

Okay. The cable you need is one of these...

365110.jpg

...However I can see that this adapter:

950017108.jpg

...is just the same, apart from the fact that it allows for 3 x 3.5mm inputs.

Okay. What color RCA plug have you connected to the stereo receiver, and which one of the two RCA ports on the adapter...

950017108.jpg

...have you plugged this RCA plug into?

Is that a mono cable? the 3.5mm male looks mono.
-for the adaptor, i just used the limegreen 3.5mm and for the RCA, i used both, red to red and whhite to white. the other end of the RCA cables are plugged into the "TV" feed.

-jfyi the powered subwoofer is pluggged into a Stereo Y adaptor. its shared with the receiver feed. thats the only way i can get a signal to the sub... no sub-out on this receiver...

Hello,

Yes the image I posted earlier...

365110.jpg

...is a mono 3.5mm to RCA cable. This is the cable required for digital transmission from your creative soundblaster soundcard to a digital source.

If you've plugged up a 3.5mm to stereo RCA cable, to your stereo receiver, not through a single RCA digital port like the one highlighted in green below:

digitalrcainputenit7.jpg

(Pretend these are input ports on an audio receiver)

...then unfortunately your setup is incorrect. Unless you've got a dedicated digital input port of some kind on your stereo receiver (either SPDIF or Coaxial / RCA digital in) then your reciever cannot receive digital signals from an audio source, and you'll have to go back to analogue.

You can't feed a digital signal through analogue RCA stereo ports, like the one pictured below...

incorrecthd4.jpg

The correct setup should be this:

setupwg7.jpg

(Pretend these are input ports on an audio receiver)

I don't think that his receiver has digital in. most 2 channel receivers don't

Sorry i couldnt respond earlier. Yea... im gonna be sticking with analogue until i get a new receiver. Thank you for all your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom