Desktop Audio Mod/Repair Questions - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Technology > Computer Audio and Multimedia
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 09:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Desktop Audio Mod/Repair Questions

I have a very simple audio set up connected to my computer. It is an Altec Lansing Audio System that has two cylindrical speakers and a third box with a little 4 inch subwoofer that is worthless. All together is is like 10 watts or something around there. Anyway quite a while back I spliced my home stereo speakers which are Aiwa 60 watt good quality speakers and it worked fine. It of course is short a lot of power but it puts out quite a bit of base while gaming and watching movies.

I recently moved to a new house and reconnected everything and the littler cylindrical (tweeters) were the only thing working. So I checked everything and it looked fine so I uninstalled both audio drivers and re-wired the speakers with new wire and fresh connections and still only the cylindrical speakers worked. They sounded twice as crisp and clear and I could hear more tones as they previously did but still couldn't get the other speakers to work.

So I disassembled the cylindrical speaker that has the circuit board inside it that the other cylindrical speaker is wired to and the 3.5 audio jack from the subwoofer and home stereo speaker plugs into. I came to the conclusion that the part of the circuit board that the non working speakers were connected to wasn't working anymore and the little electronic component connected to the circuit board that the 3.5 audio jack plugs into doesn't work anymore either.

So the only other option was to connect them to the part of the circuit board that the cylindrical speakers were connected to which I did and they all work now. Except that is the lowest quality and power part of the audio circuit board and even though all the home stereo speakers work again I am only using probably 4 watts for everything.

Is there some way I can bypass something to get it to work the way it previously did? maybe buy a 3.5 audio jack and de-solder the one that is on the circuit board now and replace it with a new one? I also wanted to know if it is possible to add some watts to the audio system by modifying the existing hardware I have somehow. Any help or suggestion is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 04-15-2012, 06:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Re: Desktop Audio Mod/Repair Questions

Nobody has any suggestions on this one?