Dedicated Sound Card(Just got one)

Status
Not open for further replies.
...Ricanflow, you did not read my post at all either. I mean, I'm happy you were trying to help, but please read my posts.

Rican is right about the headphones. USB completely bypasses your sound card. Unless you are jacked directly into the card using jacks (not USB), you're getting zip from it.

Your speaker set is not top of the line, but they should give you decent sound.

One thing I noticed, though...
Not to mention that it's only spot is right next to my 8800 GT, not helping air flow and increasing temps...yey, but they're not that bad.
You may be getting loads of interference from your GFX card through the bus. Enough to screw up whatever additional sound you would be getting, anyway.

The card may be doing its job, but it sounds to me like it really isn't giving you your money's worth.

I was just informed of something.

I am told that Vista...has a problem with Sound Cards that is not fixed yet. Some friends have told me this, and a few webpages, but still, I can't be sure.

I never mentioned it in the earlier posts, so I'm sorry but...

I was told that with Vista - Sound Card quality is almost impossible to tell the difference than onboard. Is this information valid?

To be quite honest, the only reason I'm using it is my XP boot had some isuses and won't start up, and I hadd so much crap I didn't wanna loose, I never formatted the HDD it was on(And then...I kind of just kept putting it off...and off...and here we are...months later...procrastination...lol)

So is there any truth to this Vista / Sound Card rumor, or am I just being strung along? I guess I could get around to a new XP boot if it's true, but it's alot of work(that I could put off doing for even longer) to do if it's not true. Thanks.

ricanflow, you haven't read the post right. shame on you

otherwise you would have been told him that he couldn't tell the different with some logitech speakers.
contary to popular belief, there is no such thing as a high quality computer speaker.

they have coloration and resonance's issues for one for being housed in plastic enclosures. they have crappy respond for two because they are cheap speakers. and logitech are famous for being bright and boomy. get some real speaker and you will hear a difference. it's like night and day. there is a couple of subjects on accurate sound somewhere around here

a sound card can't turn a rotten egg into a t-bone. but it can make a t-bone taste better.

Then what are some "Real Speakers" that you recommend.

Funny to add, but I just had a T-Bone Steak for supper.

Not crappy speakers, in my opinion, but I'm also not a person who spends thousands on audio gear - like you.

I was just informed of something.

I am told that Vista...has a problem with Sound Cards that is not fixed yet. Some friends have told me this, and a few webpages, but still, I can't be sure.

I never mentioned it in the earlier posts, so I'm sorry but...

I was told that with Vista - Sound Card quality is almost impossible to tell the difference than onboard. Is this information valid?

To be quite honest, the only reason I'm using it is my XP boot had some isuses and won't start up, and I hadd so much crap I didn't wanna loose, I never formatted the HDD it was on(And then...I kind of just kept putting it off...and off...and here we are...months later...procrastination...lol)

So is there any truth to this Vista / Sound Card rumor, or am I just being strung along? I guess I could get around to a new XP boot if it's true, but it's alot of work(that I could put off doing for even longer) to do if it's not true. Thanks.

Yes, its true, Vista lacks DirectSound. However, if you install Creative ALchemy, you can restore the effects that are normally lost on Vista.

Then what are some "Real Speakers" that you recommend.

Funny to add, but I just had a T-Bone Steak for supper.

Not crappy speakers, in my opinion, but I'm also not a person who spends thousands on audio gear - like you.

Wow..

http://www.techist.com/forums/f12/we-need-show-some-respect-audio-section-180626/

Get studio monitors instead on Computer Speakers (they are accurate powered speakers) or use a real system.

Ps. those 2 paradigm's main speakers cost $1500 bucks 13 years ago when the dollar actually had value. the center channel cost $500.00

Great Post vernong1992

Paradigm News

NewHouseSystem002.jpg

NexHdtvRack.jpg

this is a great guide to great sound

Some of the words

Paradigm said:
PARADIGM speakers are designed to recreate the "live music event" In your listening room. To do so, PARADIGM'S first objective Is natural spectraJ balance -neither too much or too little of any group of frequencies. ImbaJances will make certain musical notes louder or quieter than what was ortglnaJly performed and recorded -the speaker Incorrectly alters or "colours" the original. A natural spectral baJance allows the speaker to reproduce the true essence of IndJviduaJ voices and instruments. This In turn ensures better timbrel performance with a remarkable ability to distinguish voices and Instruments from one another.

A speaker must also be able to image the acoustIc soundstage of the original performance. Thls is best accompUshed with ·polnt-source" systems, where the spectral baJance remains unchanged throughout a very wide dispersion area. Wide-dispersion speaker systems provide sound throughout a wide listenIng area. Some of this sound will reach a listener dJrectly and some reflects off of the waIls, floor and ceUing, and then to the listener. The combinaUon of direct and reflected sound provides the three-dimensional acoustic space and the position of voices and instruments within that space. Becaus P ARADIGM'S "pOint-source" design provides accurate spectral balance throughout a wide dispersion area, the "colourations", "dropouts" and addJtive distortions associated with lesser designs are notably absent. The result is better dimensional realism.

P ARADIGM BUILT BAss/MID-FREQUENCY AND MIDRANGE DRIVERS
) High-pressure dlecast aluminum chassis' control mechanical vibration. rlnging and flexing.
) Co-polymer polypropylene cones combine a very high stiffness-to-mass ratio with excellent internal damping for smooth colouration-free response. extended bass performance and greater freedom from unwanted resonances and distortions, In addition, polypropylene is unaffected by age, temperature or humidity. Unlike less expensive paper cones, PARADIGM'S sound quality will not deteriorate with
time or changes in climate.
) High-hysteresis progressively-damped synthetic butyl suspensions eliminate "edge-hole" distortion, This occurs when the cone's suspension begins to resonate in an uncontrolled
manner. This major form of distortion has been isolated and eliminated,
) High-temperature multi-layer voice-coIls and ApicalT'" formers ensure better musical accuracy and reliability, Extended voice-coils provide excellent linear response regardless of cone excursion.
) Focused-field magnetic assemblies ensure low distortion and excellent linearity even under high output conditions.
P ARADIGM BUILT HIGH-FREQUENCY DRIVERS
TID"" treated-textile domes and suspensions have extremely low mass
(less than Q,28gm) and very high internal damping for uniform and
instantaneous response,
Low profile convex domes with critical faceplate coupling promotes
a wide dispersion, maXimally flat response resulting in a large
"listening window".
) High-temperature voice-coils, ventilated aluminum formers and ferrofluid
cooling! damping ensure superb dynamic response. low distortion
and long service life.
Focused-field magnet assemblies ensure low distortion and greater power handling.

F ULL RANGE T HE HOME THEATER EXPERIENCE
"se serIes" speakers are full range systems. Careful matching of enclosures and drive units results in systems wIth outstandIng low frequency extension. High frequency response reaches to beyond 20kHz, the limits of audIbility. This ensures that all of the musIcal information contained itfthe source recording will be reproduced without the need for equalization or tone control adjustments.
T HE DIGITAL AGE
The revolutionary advances of digital technology (CD's, DAT's, DCC's, etc.) mean that today's speakers are presented with a unique challenge. The greatly enhanced dynamic range and low distortion available with cligital source recorclings demand a speaker that can keep pace. PARADrGM'S commitment to speaker deSigns with low distortion, llnear response and wide dynamiC range meets the challenges of digital technology. The result Is reproduction that truly captures the essence, dimensIon and dynamics of the original musIcal performance.
lET'· ENCLOSURES
) Enclosure material resonances are controlled through the use of 19mm acoustically inert high density hardboard.
) Strategically located radial braces limit unwanted panel resonances, increases enclosure stiffness and prevents" ballooning" effects.
) High velocity, low noise ports allow maximum bass efficiency with minimum turbulance distortion.
) Better materials and engineering results in a "quieter" enclosure -one that does not produce its own sound but instead simply allows for the recreation of the original performance.
While this outstanding performance enhances musical enjoyment, it Is equally important for home theater. With its complex blend of vocal clialogue, musIc and various actIon sounds, a movie soundtrack requires a level of artIculation and spatial representation that few movie theaters are even capable of.
Now you can surpass movIe theater sound right in your own home wIth the sensational performance of an all Paradigm speaker system -fronts, center channel, surrounds and subwoofers. Your PARADIGM home theater will have better clarity, ImagIng and a more seamless soundstage than even the best theaters!
U NPRECEDENTED VALUE!
With extensive R&D facilities many generations of prototypes can be evaluated before a desIgn is put Into production. The goal of this enormous commitment to research and development Is to obtain a cost/performance ratio that Is second to none. That is why the PARADrGM "se series" speakers represent such unprecedented value. Sophisticated manufacturing and quality control techniques safeguard this value for many years to come.
•
S EAMLESS DIVIDING NETWORKS
) Hand selected. close tolerance. high power components are used in
, multi-element quaSi-Butterworth configurations.
) Frequency-and phase-corrected for superb coherent sound. ) Bi-wireablelbi-ampable.

Paradigm11seMK3111_Page_1.jpg

Paradigm11seMK3111_Page_2.jpg

Paradigm11seMK3111_Page_3.jpg

Paradigm11seMK3111_Page_4.jpg

EricB, I was shopping those Paradigms around the same time. I ended up picking the Boston Lynnfield VR series. Still rocking 'em.

To the OP, I agree with the sentiment that it's your speakers that need an upgrade. I'm sure they sound fine and for the money were a value, but if you're going to be critical of the sound you're getting, a soundcard is only half the battle.

EricB, I was shopping those Paradigms around the same time. I ended up picking the Boston Lynnfield VR series. Still rocking 'em.

To the OP, I agree with the sentiment that it's your speakers that need an upgrade. I'm sure they sound fine and for the money were a value, but if you're going to be critical of the sound you're getting, a soundcard is only half the battle.

exactly.

on a side note, it's hard finding good speakers these day, don't you think?

exactly.

on a side note, it's hard finding good speakers these day, don't you think?

It's hard to find exceptional speakers unless you have alot of $$, that's for sure. I know there are some decent values out there, but nothing that will compare to those Mk3s or the Lynnfields for the same money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom