Decisions, decisions.

So I wound up with the G930s finally. First impression, damn. Just, damn. I wasn't expecting any real quality since I've heard a plethora of studio cans but for what they are they sound good.

I'll give a rating but this is up for a change since I just got them. I'll re-rate after I've had some time with them. As it stands:

Quality: 9
Durability: 8
Range Frequency: 7
Bitrate Quality: 6
Range Wireless: 10
Bass: 8
Comfort: 9
Surround: Untested Currently
Software: 8
Battery Life: 9 (Everywhere says 6-10 hours on a charge which is good IMO + on the fly recharge)

If I was officially reviewing these I would obviously give more time obviously, but as it stands I give a solid 7.5. I'll explain my ratings below.

Quality:
Over all quality seems to be great. All things Logitech regardless of price seem to be pretty solid for what you pay for. Serious emphasis on what you pay for. So far, at a $159 price point these seem very great for the price.

Durability: First impression was these don't seem to be as solid as people claimed. Now that I have them on my head and have played with them a bit they seem to be very well built. When you first pick them up you feel like you might break them until you see the metal and start to adjust them. I know that doesn't make much sense but immediately when I put them on I could feel how solid they really were.

Range Frequency:
The frequency response seems to be very good despite being a typical gamer wannabe surround headset. The bass actually kind of rattles my ears when I play some dubstep. Between the 1k and 8k they seem to lack just slightly but you can compensate for this with a tweak in the EQ. Also Lo-Mid in the 64-120 area it lacks but the 40s rattle you out when you turn it up. Then again like I said, typical gamer headset I didn't expect much but was floored at how decent they actually did sound.

Bitrate Quality:
I don't know why I had hopes for a 24bit 96KHz setup but when I saw 16bit 48KHz I got disappointed. I just hope some time in the near future I can purchase a nice set of cans capable of playing my FLAC tunes in all their glory. Still though, they still sound better than the X41s which were supposed to be 24/48. Oh well.

Wireless Range:
Up to 40ft wasn't much of an exaggeration. I have the receiver sitting on top of my PC and can walk all around the house blasting music and I have no once heard a frequency change or search signal. The reason I took the X41s back was due to serious 2.4GHz interference. They ran in the typical 5 range which all crap routers use and there are a metric **** ton of them in my complex. So far, not a single peep or pop or anything like that. Solid quality sound.

Bass:
This is kind of a "personal preference" area as some like to have bass cranked all the way up and you can't hear **** but distortion. Others like a touch of bass with their *feel like a sir* music. Myself, I like enough to rock out. The X41s just did not in any way bring this, but that was OK. Why? Because I don't expect a ton of bass from wireless headphones. These, they deliver quite a bit. Not really much to say besides they don't distort unless you go in the EQ and crank the **** up high.

Comfort:
Most people who know me or seen me know I have a metal hoop earring in my left ear. It has spikes on the end and can poke me if I'm not careful. Most people also know I have some dumbo ears. This being said, comfort is a huge issue with me, as is weight. I've always had a problem with headphones being comfy but too heavy to wear for long periods of time. The ear cups on these are big enough to completely cover my huge ears and don't even touch my earring. Not only that, but they aren't heavy either. Super big ups here from Dumbo here as I've been looking for something like this. I did not give a perfect 10 simply because I wanted headphones with the micro-fiber or "velvet" material for that extra cuddle with your headset comfort, but hey these will do. They also don't see to get real hot and I've had them on for about an hour already. Another big up, is they are not that tight. I also have a big head, which means poorly designed headsets hurt my pressure points. Not a problem here. I feel I could wear these the duration of a movie without taking them off.

Surround:
I have not tested the surround with a game yet but that will come. What I heard with the surround test it sounds decent but I will have to edit this later.

Software:
As most know me, they know I absolutely hate bloatware. For whatever reason regardless of what it is I wont install the software unless I absolutely have to. Well to get what I wanted and program a few features I needed to install these, one thing being the EQ and 7.1 support. For anybody wondering, yes in Windows 7 these will run plug and play without extra drivers or support. Not only does the G-Series software pick up my headset but also my G700 mouse. Obvious that it would, but surprised me a little bit. Not sure why, but hey it did. The software only takes about 85MB in the background, so anybody with 4GB or above of RAM you will have no problems running this unless of course you are totally OCD like me. That's OK though, we like OCD to an extent.

Battery Life:
I have not obviously had the headset long enough to test battery life, but everywhere I read says 6-10 hours give or take. I don't know about you, but I don't sit here 6 hours straight playing BF3. I get bored. On the other hand I CAN play Skyrim that long if I didn't have a family lol. Fear not, you can charge and still listen so that's good and why I ranked it high. I think anybody who goes to bed and puts these on the charger at night wont have a single problem with battery life. I could be wrong, but 10 hours is half a day. I'm lucky to get half that in sleep.

Another thing I'll comment on, is the buttons, mic, and scroll wheel for volume. Excellent. The mic sounds rather clear, the buttons come in handy for on the fly and don't seem out of place, and the wheel feels like it's built well. I don't feel like I'm gonna break it if I actually use it....which I'll be using it a lot. It's also super easy to just reach up and move unlike the X41s that you had to search for things. One more nifty feature is when you raise the mic up it automatically mutes which also has an indicator on the end. If you want to mute while keeping it down you can do that with the button on the side as well. So for an unofficial review, I will give a odd face thumbs up (that's good).

20130212_180809.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom