Custom PC 2.1ch setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

rkf76

My Swag is on!
Hey guys, I want to make a custom 2.1 setup for my computer and figured this would be the best place to get the info I need in order to make it happen.

What I'd like to do is utilize a pair of Infinity front stage speakers that I've had for about 10 years, but have only used for a year or two. These speakers have two drivers and a tweeter in each housing, I'd like for them to play the mids and highs, and then of course a decent subwoofer, nothing too crazy, i'm sure an 8" sub would be more than enough.

So, how do I make this happen? What do I need in order to utilize regular speakers for use on my computer? I do have a soundcard, a Creative SoundBlaster Xtreme Music IIRC. I'm willing to upgrade but don't want to break the bank, I think up to $100 for the card would be my limit.

As for the sub, i'm thinking a powered one would be the way to go but I'd be open to suggestions/ideas. But if you're gonna suggest something, be reasonable, nothing extravagant, I'd like to keep my investment to below $200 if at all possible.

You need a hi-fi amplifier, that connects by the appropiate cables to your speakers, and then to your source. You may need some adapters.

How much would you be willing to spend on an amplifier ?

The subs no problem, pick one up for a reasonable amount.

I'd probably be better off just getting some powered monitors instead of trying to use my Infinity's then. Agreed?

Agreed, but for that you will need a soundcard such as the EMU 0404, M-Audio 192, Juli@.
It's looking like the E-MU 0404 is gonna be the way to go for me. Thanks for your help.

May i warn you that i use the 0404 and i do get some interference, i don't think everyone has the same problem but i certainly do.

May i warn you that i use the 0404 and i do get some interference, i don't think everyone has the same problem but i certainly do.
I'm assuming you're addressed this with the manufacturer and have been unsuccessful in your attempts at isolating the problem and solving it.

I've found a different sound card that costs a little less, has great SQ and features and fits my needs, it's an AudioTrak Prodigy HD2. Anybody have experience with this card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom