Current computer doesn't go as loud as old - why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Secret

Solid State Member
Title covers the question, I think.

Current computer - HP a1610n
Old computer - HP XG833

I was told on another forum that I need to buy a sound card to solve the problem stated in the title, because apparently my current computer uses onboard audio and the onboard audio is not as powerful as the old computer's audio. Is that correct?

It makes sense to me, it's what I figured was the issue before I even sought actual help, but I want a second opinion before I go out and actually buy a sound card. All my volume settings are turned all the way up on the current computer (the right corner volume control thing and through the control panel sound settings), is there anything else besides the onboard audio not being capable that could explain my problem?

They were pretty much right, i think.

I beleive onboard audio has a lower output voltage so its a weaker signal, so your pc speakers won't go as loud. Now you would have to get that confirmed by either ricanflow or EricB, because i can't be positive on that - just an educated guess.

you are correct. one computer might have put out 300mv while another put out 500 millivots with distortion. the great soundcards (the x-fi on up) put out 2 volts (2000mv) with no distortion

Right on. It's all about voltage, which all onboard "cards" do not have.

The higher the voltage of an output, the "louder" signal you'll get and most of the time that means a "cleaner" signal, which is what eric was talking about (distortion). The more you can send without distortion, the cleaner it will be at lower volumes.

You say the cleaner it will be at lower volumes, does this mean an audio signal is cleaner and more ''pure'' if played at a higher volume ? (not very high, of course)

Also, I don't think you need to spend a ton on a sound card, I didn't.
SB Audigy SE or Turtle Beach Montego are $30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom