crossover cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

triskit

In Runtime
i need to transfer all of my music files (about 10 GB) to my new computer. in another thread, someone mentioned a crossover cable as being a cheap and easy way to do this. What is a crossover cable and is it something that i could get at like best buy or radio shack.. or where should i look? Ive seen some that look like the telephone/internet wires, is that the correct type, or is that something different?

i already have a 1 gb usb flash, but i dont know how dependable those are for transfering music files...

If you have spare hard drive just hook it up as a secondary drive and transfer your data to it then put it in the other computer and unload the files. Its what i do :D

AMD Athlon Xp 2500+
120Gb
768Mb pc2700
Nvidia GeForce 4 4200 Ti

You could take out the hard drive with the music on it and change the jumper setting to slave and put it in your new computer as a secondary drive and simply go in and transfer that way.

Re: Reply

AMDSCOrPiO said:
If you have spare hard drive just hook it up as a secondary drive and transfer your data to it then put it in the other computer and unload the files. Its what i do :D

AMD Athlon Xp 2500+
120Gb
768Mb pc2700
Nvidia GeForce 4 4200 Ti

...Why not just take the hard drive out of the old PC, take it and slave it in the new PC, then transfer the files directly from the old HDD to the new HDD? No need for a secondary hard drive to transfer the data.

*:up: EDIT: Okies :up: *

A crossover cable is a "twisted" RJ45 (ethernet) cable. You basically just plug it in to both computer's ethernet ports and then create a 2 computer network.

Your flash drive would be the best thing you could use.

Re: Reply

AMDSCOrPiO said:
You could take out the hard drive with the music on it and change the jumper setting to slave and put it in your new computer as a secondary drive and simply go in and transfer that way.

that just seems way more complicated than necessary ha...
so you guys dont think there would be any problems if i just use the flash drive? I know they can tecnically trsnfer anything but i usualy only see thwm used for word documents, etc, so i wasnt sure if they were prone to problemswith more complicated stuff like music... mabe not... i just worry that ill get to school and all of my music will sound like crap...

also, my brother mentioned some way that i could use a blank cd like "INCD" or something... he didnt go into much detail ha, but what about that?

Dont bother with INcd... its as much of a pain as the hard drive switch. Just use your flash drive... you'll have to do it 9-10 times to get everything transferred, but it will be the best way.

seems more simple to take out the hard drive from the old computer and the set it as a slave and put it in the new computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom