Creative Extigy optical in/out with dolby digital

Status
Not open for further replies.

xeromem

Solid State Member
I have a Creative Extigy sound card and for christmas got the Logitech Z5500 Digital speakers with decoder capable of decoding Dolby digital AND DTS (THX certified). So now I'm working on hooking up my game console (XBOX hooked up to the optical in with digital and DTS options enabled) to my Extigy and my Extigy outputting to my speakers through the optical out. I have disabled Extigy's decoding and have everything pass through to the speaker's decoder. I put DVD's into my computer and they come through pure digital or DTS (I know because the speaker's decoder indicates digital sound). However, whenever I put in an XBOX game (currently Halo 2 because it has digital sound), it does not come through digital. The Dolby digital light is on on my extigy unit, yet the output is not digital, only Pro Logic II. I've messed around with every option and looked through many forums, yet have not found any resolution yet. It's not my speakers, because they do output digital sound from my computer's DVD's. Is there something I am doing wrong here? Thanks in advance.

so you have your Xbox hooked up into optical in hoping to pass sound to your 5.1 speaker setup?

i own the extigy as well, and I remember somewhere on creatives sites that they can be hooked up to gaming consoles and whatnot.

but on a personal level, I got my playstation 2 to work using the line-in, this was because in the volume control panel I can control the line in. It never seems to work when my computer isnt on. So using this theory, I think there has to be either some program to control the optical for it to work...

I don't think you quite understand what I'm saying. I get sound. I'm an audiophile, so the problem is that the sound is only Pro Logic II, when it should be in Dolby Digital.

you sound card doesn't convert the optical in back to optical out. I was mad when I found out my sound card had the same problem.

but from rereading your question maybe your do. go to all of your sound setting and disable every sound manipulation with your card from creative softare . it should be set to pass through. no ac3, dpl,concert, etc. something in your creative software is converting you digital input to dpl.

yeah, I killed all decoding and set it to pass-through straight to my speaker's decoder. Not much of a problem really, just bugs my audiophilic side. (Is audiophilic even a word?)

xeromem said:
yeah, I killed all decoding and set it to pass-through straight to my speaker's decoder. Not much of a problem really, just bugs my audiophilic side. (Is audiophilic even a word?)

I hear that . have you play a DD movie in it with the same results?

xeromem said:
I put DVD's into my computer and they come through pure digital or DTS (I know because the speaker's decoder indicates digital sound).
:p

Can't put a movie in my xbox since I don't have the DVD decoder on me (It's at home). I'll see if I can scrounge one up from someone nearby, although I don't know if it'll happen. I don't see why it would go through for a DVD and when the games won't. I plug my xbox directly into my speakers decoder and it comes through digital. Grrr this problem is a bit annoying, and the worst part about it is I would get a new one but I'm not sure whether it would have the same problem or not. :(:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom