Converting .MOV files

Status
Not open for further replies.

jay_burgess

Solid State Member
I have some .MOV files on my computer and I want to make a movie using windows movie maker. The problem is, movie maker doesn't support this file format so I need to conver to AVI or something similar. Is there any programs within windows that can be used to convert the file format. Or is there any free programs that can be downloaded from the net? So far I have only been able to find trial versions and Windows Media Encoder won't convert from .MOV.

mplayer/mencoder NOT media encoder

go here:
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/dload.html
unzip mplayer
download the windows version and the essential codec package
unzip the codec package into the codec directory inside the mplayer folder

its commandline only, so put the mplayer folder on your desktop and then put the movies you wanna change inside that

then open command prompt and type this:
cd Desktop\mplayer

mencoder <insert_movie_file_here> -o <put_movie_out_title_here> -oac mp3lame -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vqmin=2:vbitrate=2150
^^^above command is all one long line
that will convert it to mpeg4(divx), or you can do xvid by replacing the -ovc lavc blah blah part with:
-ovc xvid -xvidopts vbitrate=2150------may have to check the docs here, the xvid options are a bit different

if that doesnt work im sure what you can do that doesnt involve separating the audio first and converting them to mpeg's, quicktime isnt an often encountered format cept on macs

what formats will windows movie maker deal with?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom