Converting DVD's to laserdiscs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poon

In Runtime
Anyone have any experience with this? I hope to convert all my DVDs to laserdisc very soon but i'm having a little trouble finding information about how to accomplish this. Obviously I'm not the first person to have this idea so hopefully you can point me in the right direction.

Thanks.

Um, what?

Let me get this straight:

You want to convert DVD (which is a 720x480 progressive digital format, with 5.1 surround sound and 5 inches in diameter) to laserdisc (which is a 640x480 interlaced analog video format with 2 channel digital audio and 12" in diameter) for what reason?

Laser disc is bigger, poorer quality video and audio, and older. You can't burn those discs, because they don't make laser disc writers. They were "pressed" ...

DVD is smaller, better quality video and audio, newer and copyable because they make DVD burners.

DVD > laserdisc.

Now, if you mean laserdisc to DVD, then I could see why you'd want to do that.

The easiest way to do that is to get a componant DVD recorder, plug the laserdisc player into it and record it.

Read this:

http://hometheater.about.com/od/laserdiscced/a/lasertodvd_2.htm

No, I meant what I said. I want to convert my DVD collection to laserdisc.

A while back I invested in a top-of-the-line laserdisc player and I'd like to be able to enjoy it. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Uh ...

Well, you can't. Sounds like a while back you invested in a deprecated piece of old unnecessary technology.

Go get a $39 HDMI upscaling DVD player, because that will give you 10 times better video and audio quality than even the most expensive laserdisc player.

Not that laserdiscs suck or anything, I myself have a small collection, but DVD is better. Basically what you want to do is take something that is high quality and convert it to medium quality so you can "enjoy" it.

My VCR costed $250 back in the day, but now I'd be lucky to get somebody to take it for free.

My component DVD Recorder that costed $300 June 05 will cost $120 now.

It's called technology, it depreciates...

talldude123 said:
My VCR costed $250 back in the day, but now I'd be lucky to get somebody to take it for free.

My component DVD Recorder that costed $300 June 05 will cost $120 now.

It's called technology, it depreciates...

Uhh... I meant deprecated, not depreciated. Laserdisc players are actually worth something, as there are movies that are only available on laserdisc (such as the REAL Star Wars movies) ...

And "costed" isn't a word, lol.

The General said:
Uhh... I meant deprecated, not depreciated. Laserdisc players are actually worth something, as there are movies that are only available on laserdisc (such as the REAL Star Wars movies) ...

And "costed" isn't a word, lol.

Sorry 'bout that.
I thought you just misspelled the word.

Costed means something did cost something back then..

I bought my first dvd player in 1997 for 1000 bucks. I sold my 2 laserdisc players (pioneer and sony) and all of my movies to the pawn shop for about 700 buck. I knew the technology was dead, but they didn't. they still have the stuff

that's like the time that I bought my first cd recorder ($1500.00). I knew that cassette was dead. so I sold my $2800.00 nakamichi dragon cassette player to the pawn shop for 1200 bucks. they still have it

I thought DVD players came out in 1998...

Either way, they were expensive back then. Went from $1000 down to "free" if you buy $200 worth of merchandise.

Please save the flame posts regarding laserdisc. It is a great technology that was under-utilized. To say that a $1000 laserdisc player is worse than a $39 DVD player is just plain crazy.

You can't burn those discs, because they don't make laser disc writers. They were "pressed" ...

How do i find a machine that can press the discs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom