Converting DV tapes to avi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shando

In Runtime
I have a Sony Handycam, and the USB streaming tool bundled with it works fine, but the quality is nothing short of crap. I'm making a DVD from videos and photos taken over the summer, and want it to be of respectable quality. Does anyone know of any software which will convert my DV tapes to a usable format with good quality?

Thanks,

~Shando

USB? You sure it isn't firewire that you are using. I say check the manual to see what it says about transfering video to a computer. Camcorders that have the digital camera function like yours will also have a usb port, but that is only for geting the photos off the memory card on the camera.

You think firewire is the best way? currently i'm using an outdated mobo, so it doesn't come with a firewire jack or header, and I don't have a firewire PCI card either.

Yes. I think what your camera is doing is lowering the quality because usb can not keep up with the demanding transfer rates if you were to transfer the DV tape in regular quality. Firewire on the other hand has a much faster transfer rate.
You are going to have to buy a firewire pci card to put into your system. Make sure to check that your mobo meets the minimum requirements for the pci card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom