Connecting pc to LCD TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddubb

Beta member
I'm shopping for a LCD tv and need to know what input the tv must have to connect to my pc. Hi def is not much of a priority at all. I currently have a CRT tube tv and that displays the pc just fine (via S-video) except for text (due to refresh rate). For a monitor I have a 27 in Samsung LCD connected via VGA.

My pc is a HP M7680n. Here's a list of available input/output:

# 6 Hi-Speed USB, 2 IEEE 1394 (FireWire), 1 Keyboard Generic, 1 Mouse Generic, 1 Display / video VGA, 1 Network Ethernet 10Base-T/100Base-TX, 1 Audio, 1 Audio, 1 Audio, 1 Audio Line-in, 1 Audio Line-out/headphones, 1 Headphones Output, 2 Microphone Input, 1 Parallel IEEE 1284 (EPP/ECP), 1 Audio, 1 Audio, 1 Audio Line-in, 1 Display / video DVI-Analog/Digital, 1 Display / video, 1 Display / video

My original thought was to make sure that any new LCD tv I buy (45"-50") has VGA in, and then split the signal between the current 27" Samsung and the newer TV. I'm sure that would be easiest and positive I'd be happy with the result. But now I'm wondering if there are other options like finding a tv having no VGA input, and then converting the signal from the pc to something compatible with the tv. The purpose of considering TVs without VGA would be to broaden my choices when shopping.

I'm OK with both displays being clones. The pc is only a few feet away from the TV. My goal is to use the larger TV as a pc display for the purposes of general pc usage, but especially navigating Microsoft Media Center, pvr television shows as well as any other video ripped to the hd. Also, surfing the internet and viewing internet video such as: video podcasts, internet-only programming, viral videos, etc. For now the CRT I own is working fine for viewing the video files I watch, but that's only after I use the monitor to select and start playing the content. As mentioned, text on the CRT is blurry and unreadable. So I bounce back and forth between navigating on the monitor and then viewing on the CRT television.

So remembering that I already use the VGA-out on my pc, what are my options for connecting my pc to a new TV and what cables or converters will I need? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom