computer speaker set-up

Status
Not open for further replies.
dude you're missing the whole point of this. yes, some subs do goto 500hz and higher. the 500hz number was just an example. ignore it if it's causing you so much confusion.

NewCents05 said:
so youre saying that the 6in sub wont play the 32hz tone? it will try and in trying it will sound bad. and door speakers and subs are completely different of course you can mix those the door speakers are more midbass than low bass. but these are 2 subwoofers both only getting subwoofer frequencies.

geezus. let me try again. the 6in sub WILL NOT sound bad when it tries to play 32hz unless you're sending too much power to it. the example of the door speakers and 12" sub is NOT completely different because the door speakers are 2-way and are designed to reproduce bass frequencies as well as high frequencies. they do both just fine.

i will try to find some evidence of this but this is what ive learned from many people in db drag competitions

lolololol, THAT'S what you're basing your reasoning off of? you do realize the db drage competition are all about VOLUME, not quality of sound, right? they send thousands of watts to try to make ONE FREQUENCY extremely loud. that's a COMPLETELY different ballpark than what we're talking about.

just drop it dude.

EricB said:
are those 6'5 speakers midbass or 2 way?

if they are 2 way ignore this. this is just a tip.

yea, they're 2-ways. i don't have the money for a component system just yet :D Once I get an amplifier for them, I'm going to highpass them at around 100hz or something and let the sub take care of the low bass.

k well are you saying people at db drags dont know what theyre talking about?? because they may not know all the technical facts that you may but they have a hella lot more expirence with this kinda stuff. its not always on one note either people try to meter them selves on music. i havent seen anyone with multiple size woofers in their car before. well at least at bassrace or db drags. and yeah some people are there just for spl but most of the setups i see are ridiculous sq setups some guy has 6 13w7 in the back of his tahoe and if that isnt sq enough for you then i dont know what is. and subs going to 500hz and higher would be considered woofers not subwoofers so i dont know of any subs that can do 500hz+

and i guess i cant explain this well enough cause you may think that itll sound the same and all the facts say it will but when you listen to the two combined it wont sound as good. but whatever just saying that i havent seen cars with multiple size subs around to get a more full response its usually more of just one size sub to eliminate cancellation. (and yes i mean cancellation you cant have 2 different size subs in the same enclosure period)

on the side note of components id recommend focal components have those in my car and **** the clarity is nutz plus it has enough bass to make people think you have subs in your car but i use a bass stoppers in the line so they dont take a beating

Originally posted by NewCents05 k well are you saying people at db drags dont know what theyre talking about?? because they may not know all the technical facts that you may but they have a hella lot more expirence with this kinda stuff. its not always on one note either people try to meter them selves on music. i havent seen anyone with multiple size woofers in their car before. well at least at bassrace or db drags. and yeah some people are there just for spl but most of the setups i see are ridiculous sq setups some guy has 6 13w7 in the back of his tahoe and if that isnt sq enough for you then i dont know what is. and subs going to 500hz and higher would be considered woofers not subwoofers so i dont know of any subs that can do 500hz+

what is your deal with this 500hz thing? of course w7's aren't going to hit 500hz, they're not designed for that. and no, i don't consider 6 enormous overpowered subs SQ, sorry. the reason you don't see people with multiple sized woofers at db contests is because it's easier to tune them to be louder if they're all the same. otherwise, you'd need seperate EQ's and crossover points for the different sizes.

I'm getting really tired of picking through your run-on sentences.

and i guess i cant explain this well enough cause you may think that itll sound the same and all the facts say it will but when you listen to the two combined it wont sound as good

hmmm, explain that to me. all the facts say it'll sound fine but somehow it doesn't?

but whatever just saying that i havent seen cars with multiple size subs around to get a more full response

because you goto db competitions.

its usually more of just one size sub to eliminate cancellation. (and yes i mean cancellation you cant have 2 different size subs in the same enclosure period)

they still wouldn't cancel each other out. the large woofer's air pressure inside the box would likely overextend the smaller woofer, causing it to fail.

you're not even talking about the original topic at all anymore. do you remember what this thread was about? geezus.....

the point I am trying to make is that a 6" woofer and a 10" woofer running at the same time will NOT SOUND BAD. there will be NO DEGRADATION IN SOUND QUALITY.

you can continue to argue this by talking about guys with thousands of watts going to up to 8 woofers at the same time, but that's like comparing a tire to a cat.

no me talking to my dentist about this would be comparing tire to a cat.

if he had a 6in mid then it would sound ok but mixing a 6in subwoofer with a 10in subwoofer. youre going to have two different sounds of bass. i just reread the first post and i think when he meant by bass driver then he probably meant a woofer. if thats the case then there will probably not be any degradation of sound.

but think of it this way do you think the sound pressure created by the 6in subwoofer is gonna add on to the 10in subwoofer? no the 10in subwoofer will just overcome it and in doing so it wont sound as good. and to the ear itll sound like two bass sounds

lol. dude. two different bass sounds? if the 10" is louder than the 6", so be it. but that won't make it sound bad. now if the 6" sounds bad to begin with, yea, it'll crap it up.

the only problem would be if one the boxes that the woofers are in isn't designed well and it has an unusually high group delay at certain frequencies

-edit- I just plugged in a speaker from a cheap boombox system (walmart style). it has a 4" woofer and a 1" dome tweeter. I played that through my right channel and my 8" woofer speaker through the left channel. I played a rock tune, a rap piece, and a youtube video.

Guess what?

yea i guess just sounds like it wont sound that great mixing two different size subs from two different brands

asked someone about this and this is what i got

"Its not just different sizes, but different subs too that can't be mixed. There will be some distortion caused by it. In some cases it will sound fine, but often it wont. Its because the frequency response of all subs that are different, is different.(make sense?) Also because of many factors, such as cone size, weight, etc the subs react differently to the signal. A perfect sub would reproduce the signal its given perfectly, but that never happens... lets say the sub screws up at 40Hz, and you have annother sub which has a dip in response at 30 and 60 Hz...now put them together and you have a very peaky response. In other words, it'll sound like dump.
The moral of this story? Don't mix subs. except on tuesdays, everything is ok on tuesdays.
"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom