computer as a phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshd

Fully Optimized
didn't know whether to put this in networking or here...

is it possible to make my computer act like a phone over the network? so when the house phone rings, my computer rings, and i can pick it up on the computer. when i am in my room, i cannot hear the phone ring, so i always miss important calls when my parents are not home.

lol **** i know there is cause my like 10yr old nec laptop had a program built in like that where you just plug in the phone line and could talk thru the built in mic so i know there is a program out there like that and its been there for a really long time

the only other thing is that i want to do it over the wireless network, as there is no way i can get a phone cable to my computer.

oo dont know how you can get your house phone over your wireless network without connecting it to the phone line

yea, there is no way to plug a phone line into the router...

i think it is not doable. probably back to persuading the 'rents to buy a walkabout house phone.

EDIT: just completely random and off topic, but only 38 posts to go, and i am teh 1337!

joshd said:
didn't know whether to put this in networking or here...

is it possible to make my computer act like a phone over the network? so when the house phone rings, my computer rings, and i can pick it up on the computer. when i am in my room, i cannot hear the phone ring, so i always miss important calls when my parents are not home.

I used Skype for a while. I really needed it when our my cmopany Nextels had no service up in towns in Alaska (population 50 or below....yea, scary). Anyway, If I had an internet connection, I used SkypeOut to call them. They have a service called SkypeIn and you can get your own phone number. People call your number either from another Skype application on a computer or from a regular phone. I never had any problems with it. Especially in a remote location where cell service didn't exsist, but an internet connection was available.

ye, but ideally i wouldnt want it to cost anymore that it does to use a normal phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom