Codec Ques... - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Technology > Computer Audio and Multimedia
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 11:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Codec Ques...

I read in a book that audio cd format is huge, which is compressed to mp3. All that part is removed which our ears can not percieve. This results in loss of file size and even we dont feel loss in quality..

The Ques--
What will happen if we make an audio cd from mp3??How will be the original audio be preserved??

Old 04-22-2006, 12:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
HONK if you route packets

Once the original audio file is compressed into an mp3, you can't get the full original quality back. If you burn mp3s to a CD, they will burn as loosy audio files. You gain 10 times the space by burning mp3s to a CD rather than having the full uncompressed audio, but what you gain with quanity, you lose with quality.

The whole, "You lose audio that the human ears can not percieve" is FALSE. Years ago I used to travel around to concerts and record them using DAT and Mini-Disc with a set of microphones. After recording the concert, I would burn the show to a CD or record it to a cassette. I could even tell the difference between a "Master" copy of the show and a copy that had been recorded 4 or 5 times over itself. The human ear can tell the difference between a .WAV and .MP3......it's just a matter of listening to what we are used to listening to and focusing attention to most balances of music or sound that you wouldn't normally just by listening to a CD in your living room.

Record a CD using MP3s and then listen to the original audio in a undisturbed environment. I guarantee that you will be able to make out the difference.

Old 04-22-2006, 12:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default thanks..

Thanks mikesgroovin for this info....
Old 04-22-2006, 12:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Techie

you can use a lossless codec instead of mp3
Old 04-22-2006, 07:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
HONK if you route packets

Quote:
Originally posted by horndude
you can use a lossless codec instead of mp3
Yes, you can. A good Lossless audio compression method is FLAC
Old 04-22-2006, 09:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by mikesgroovin
Once the original audio file is compressed into an mp3, you can't get the full original quality back. If you burn mp3s to a CD, they will burn as loosy audio files. You gain 10 times the space by burning mp3s to a CD rather than having the full uncompressed audio, but what you gain with quanity, you lose with quality.

The whole, "You lose audio that the human ears can not percieve" is FALSE. Years ago I used to travel around to concerts and record them using DAT and Mini-Disc with a set of microphones. After recording the concert, I would burn the show to a CD or record it to a cassette. I could even tell the difference between a "Master" copy of the show and a copy that had been recorded 4 or 5 times over itself. The human ear can tell the difference between a .WAV and .MP3......it's just a matter of listening to what we are used to listening to and focusing attention to most balances of music or sound that you wouldn't normally just by listening to a CD in your living room.

Record a CD using MP3s and then listen to the original audio in a undisturbed environment. I guarantee that you will be able to make out the difference.
oh well. I see that I'm not needed.
Old 04-23-2006, 01:49 AM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Ogg format..

What do you think about .ogg formt?
Is it lossless codec too?
Old 04-23-2006, 02:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

Default Re: Ogg format..

Quote:
Originally posted by himalya
What do you think about .ogg formt?
Is it lossless codec too?
no
Old 04-23-2006, 11:52 AM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

u can rip to lossless wma by windows media player.

also if u rip to 256kb/s mp3 u will not hear any difference between it and original cd.

Closed Thread