Coax vs Optical Sound Connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinoy3000

Daemon Poster
Hmmmmm.... I just changed it today.

I listened to music on iTunes had the volume set at a certain volume. Then changed my audio connection from Optical to Coax both provided with the speaker, I changed it and it seems to me that the sound is better with the Coax. The only thing is that when you twist the Coax connected in the back of my sub woofer, I hear a loud sub sound. Hehe, i guess thats normal as I as disturbing the connection.

But ye, is Coax supposed to be better than Optical in terms of sound quality? Cuz Im hearing a better sound quality with the Coax than I did with the Optical. All settings are set the same including volume. Same music and all.

Hm........

I thought Digital is better. Guess not.

What do you guys think? Or am i just imagining it?

I think, coax can support multi channeling and optical cannot. so it just tries to send out signal to channels. thus compromising the loudness and quality.

btw, what speaker you are using? and sound card?

I listened to music on iTunes had the volume set at a certain volume. Then changed my audio connection from Optical to Coax both provided with the speaker, I changed it and it seems to me that the sound is better with the Coax. The only thing is that when you twist the Coax connected in the back of my sub woofer, I hear a loud sub sound. Hehe, i guess thats normal as I as disturbing the connection.

But ye, is Coax supposed to be better than Optical in terms of sound quality? Cuz Im hearing a better sound quality with the Coax than I did with the Optical. All settings are set the same including volume. Same music and all.

Hm........

The two different types of cable actually carry the same signal. They both use S/PIDF. You are probably just imagining a difference in audio quality.

there's coax for sound?
S/PDIF actually uses 75-ohm cable. 75-ohm cable is also commonly used for cable tv...

I think, coax can support multi channeling and optical cannot. so it just tries to send out signal to channels. thus compromising the loudness and quality.

btw, what speaker you are using? and sound card?

speaker on sig....... sound card is none, hehe, mobo sound which is real nice, im satisfied with it, supports dts and dd.

Hm........

from a casual glance most people would think that optical is better. it's not. coaxial is the higher spec format on paper. but most humans shouldn't be able to tell the difference.

from a casual glance most people would think that optical is better. it's not. coaxial is the higher spec format on paper. but most humans shouldn't be able to tell the difference.

I can tell the difference, does this mean im not human? Hehe lolz

In other subject, college.

Grrr, first quarter of college and im not learning anything new. Is this going to be like this for the rest of my college life? Its basically reviews, most of the stuff I already learned in high school. And no im not taking easy classes, all Gen - Ed. classes are all lvl 170 and above.

Anyway, how am I suppose to learn how to become an Aeronautical Engineer? Is it going to come later on during my college years? Grrr..... I want to know how to design planes already lolz. :D

Coaxial and Optical are the same over short runs. Over very long runs, Optical is better at preserving the signal, since it has a lower amount of signal degradation.

And an optical Cable runs over 10ft also the Cable runs in close proximity to video and power cords emanating RF noise, Using optical cables for your digital connections may help minimize susceptibility of coupling RF noise into the line and reduce loss for long runs (10 feet or more). However, optical cables tend to be more costly and sensitive to abrupt external forces, which may potentially weaken the connection over time. In any event, either connection method should yield excellent and comparable results in most cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom