Check out my home made wooferbox

Status
Not open for further replies.
looks good, but dont take offence but it will sound crap. i fit in car entertainment for a job and have done for the last 8 years, mdf is the way to go, minimum of 18mm, but its not just the material that is important but size and shape, not enough air capacity inside it will blow instead of suck and to much it will fire out of the back of the sub drop and rattle around like sound in a bean tin. dont have a square or rectangular box either, if sound fires out it will bounce flat and fire back to its destonation cause the coil on the rear to take a hammer ( definiatly not wanted) the last thing that you want is to destroy your equipment from the inside. tried and tested boxes have a slopped face where the sub seats onto, causing the sound to fire into a corner and bounce it in every direction possible. and ports are ok, but no ports more and DEEPER bass which is what you want to anoy any one. a port allows sound to come out, dont really want that . a good crossover is essential but not turned up to high( turns normal speaker sound to pure bass under a certain range). hope you and every one else can use this info. any more just give me a pm. it work coz ive got 4 10" subs in the back of my fronteira and have had to replace rear windows with plastic ones (coz i broke the last ones and the ones before them, oops). ps plenty of ampage helps. if your subs are 300watts a peice double up for one so you would want a 600w amp at least per sub.

bangarang30 said:
lbut its not just the material that is important but size and shape, not enough air capacity inside it will blow instead of suck and to much it will fire out of the back of the sub drop and rattle around like sound in a bean tin. dont have a square or rectangular box either, if sound fires out it will bounce flat and fire back to its destonation cause the coil on the rear to take a hammer ( definiatly not wanted) the last thing that you want is to destroy your equipment from the inside..

a square or rectangular box will sound boomy (one note bass) because of standing waves it will not be accurate, but it will handle slightly more power

bangarang30 said:
, but no ports more and DEEPER bass which is what you want to anoy any one. a port allows sound to come out, dont really want that .

here is one of the biggest misconception of audio. that sealed boxed is deeper and more accurate than ported.

not true. in generalization, it is kinda true, but a properly design ported box will kill any sealed box in both department. look at high end home audio, what type enclosure's do they use. ported. as an added bonus if you add a subsonic filter just below the tuning point, you can increase the output by up to 8 db (that's almost three times as loud). A sealed box could never do that.

sealed boxes have a compressed sound that I can't stand personally. it like having you nuts strapped together by a rope while having sex. some cum will come out but not all of it and not in full force

a square or rectangular box will sound boomy (one note bass) because of standing waves it will not be accurate, but it will handle slightly more power

And even standing sound waves can be brought to a minimal with fiberwool.

I build subwoofer enclosures for a second source of income, they pay me pretty damn good too!

This one isn't finished, but its what I do:
box.jpg

My 30 farad CAP
Mycarsystem005.jpg

My PPI 2400
Mycarsystem004.jpg

My mid and High AMPs
Mycarsystem003.jpg

My Speakers
Mycarsystem001.jpg

my system for basically the past five years in my 1977 Cadillac, I retired from car audio though.

That's a sweet setup eric. nobody would suspect that in a car that looks like that. I liked your s&m analogy about sealed boxes

ekÆsine said:
That's a sweet setup eric. nobody would suspect that in a car that looks like that. I liked your s&m analogy about sealed boxes

Thanks.

I just built the box this winter. the old box had got wet from condensation from this year's winter storm around Xmas. I put it together in the cold. it could have been better. I'm going to build a better one soon since it's starting to get hot.

here my home subwoofer box. it's is really a JBL 1500 GTI in a 9 cubic foot box. the dust top had got push in and broke. So I replace it with a Phoenix Gold Xmax dustcover

HomeSpeaker002.jpg

DJ - chris if your lookin at buildin your own enclosures check this site out.
www.decware.com

By the way i'v got a pic of some boxes i have built but they are too big and it wont let me put them in the threads, so how can i show u guys?

nice box eric i see u used a slot port ( my favourate), but u put the amp in the box!! make a seperate box for the amp and then just hide it somewhere and have wires running to a terminal on the box, thats what i did.

Todd0 said:
DJ - chris if your lookin at buildin your own enclosures check this site out.
www.decware.com

By the way i'v got a pic of some boxes i have built but they are too big and it wont let me put them in the threads, so how can i show u guys?

Upload your pic to the site and paste the image url here.
http://photobucket.com/

It will look something like this
http://photobuckett.com/yourimage [/IMG

I took the ] off of the end so it would show the letters here instead of a pic

[quote="Todd0"][B]nice box eric i see u used a slot port ( my favourate), but u put the amp in the box!! make a seperate box for the amp and then just hide it somewhere and have wires running to a terminal on the box, thats what i did. [/B][/QUOTE]

I have though about doing that

Amazing prices from 500 and 1000 watts subwoofer class g (based of Carver's Class A/ B downtracking power supply) amps. you will have to put and grood loop isolator on them, because due to their design, hum might get introduced

[url]http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-806[/url]

[url]http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-808[/url]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom