Cell phone interference related to speaker damage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

megabill

Beta member
Hello, I've been googling forever, and I cannot find an honest, credible answer to my question. So maybe someone here can help me out...

I often times hear clicking and beeping coming from my speakers. I know this is related to my cell phone's signal broadcasting. Here's the thing, I'm getting this kind of feedback all the time, and I am concerned that it is damaging my speaker system (Logitech Z-5300) because I am noticing a slight decrease in quality coming from both the speakers (such as not as defined a sound coming from this amazing sub I have). Now this might just be me building some kind of tolerance for the sound output, but I dunno.

Anyone here knowledgeable in this area and willing to give me some info? Any response is appreciated, thanks!

First off: It's weird that you're getting this feedback all of the time, do you have any clue where it's originating from? I mean, I also get this occasionaly, but not continuesly like your describing.

Second: I've never heard stories about that feedback being harmfull to speaker, AFAIK it's just a signal picked up from the ether by the signal cable to the speaker, which is translated by the speaker. I think creating a loud feedback (the high pitched loud sound) is far more damaging then this. In any case it's less lethal do speakers then a DC current :p

Perhaps you could try isolating your speakers wiring, but I'm not sure if that would help.. wrapping a little bit of metal foil.. ehrm, alliminium is the Dutch word, someone help me out on the English, I'm lost ;)

Cheers,
EGM

It's not happening frequently, however it always happens when my cell phone is pinged or a call is coming in or going out. Now, this doesn't happen when I put my phone a few feet away, but I usually have to have it close to the speakers because that's where I do my work. Also, I've noticed that the sound hasn't been so severe as it was when I got this system a couple months ago. I'm wondering if something was slowly wearing out because of all the feedback? I've got no clue...

Aah ok, you made it sound like there was something close by emiting those signals 24/7, which isn't really healthy for the human body as some rumors suggest.

1 way to test this out is to connect a different set of speakers to your PC and listen if you hear difference. But it's hard to hear that by ear.

I really haven't heard anything that would suggest it's harmfull to your speaker though.. our big 200Watt amps at the orchestra pickup those signals fairly often, and they seem to be working fine.

its just RF interferance.

it will NOT damage your speakers, unless over course you turn the volume up way to loud, in which case it will be your fault.

easy solution = flush your cellphone down the toilet.

i swear cellphones are the worst thing ever, like an electronic leash. it used to be that if you saw someone calling, you didnt have to answer. but now, NOW they KNOW you have th cellphone with you and if you dont anwser that means you dont want to talk to them and that makes them mad.

Ofcourse, just putting your cellphone out of reach of your speaker will also get the job done ;)

EGM said:
Ofcourse, just putting your cellphone out of reach of your speaker will also get the job done ;)

Yes of course, I kind of need my cell phone now and again :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom