CD Mystery

Status
Not open for further replies.
progress said:
I recently had some conventional C90 audiotapes transferred onto CDs to the 'Red Book Standard' employing a HHB CDR 850 CD writing machine. It was supposedly a straight analogue to digital conversion without any computer processing.

download musicmatch here

now hook your c90 audio tape player to your line in input of your computer

open musicmatch after you install it, click on the copy from cd options, then click tools, settings, it will bring the setting tab up, now select your recording input to line in. also click on the recorder tab, select record as a wav file, click ok

you hit the record button and start recording your music

The settings screen

Attachments

• mm.1.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 32
My C90 tape player is just part of an old Radio, it does not have a line out. But in anycase if I bypass my CDs, the reference to Sound Forge (wherever it is on them if it truly is) is not going to appear anyway is it though?

I mean I can go and get a better tape player, which I think I am going to have to do in order to look at other aspects of my recordings, but!

if you rip it as a mp3 or wav file, soundforge should not show up

it might be possible, that your cd recorder might have put an sound forge installer on that cd.

musicmatch use to do that by default (add a musicmatch installer on an audio cd, so in case you play it in a computer, you could install their software), now you have to set it to do it, because people got mad about it

Thanks again EricB for your continued support.

As I said at the start of my thread, the CD recorder was a professional HHB CDR 850, not belonging to me and I checked with the company who told me their machine uses only their own proprietary software and not Sound Forge.

From my internet searches it seems likely that my analogue audio was possibly edited with Sound Forge before being 'mastered' by the HHB machine's own software and somehow there is a trace of the editing programme that's gone onto the CD. But how do I reveal what is on the CD other than play the audio files? As before nothing is being revealed by attemting to open the file.

Progress - Update

I have still not resolved this. Yesterday (23 December) I took my CDs to a commercial CD producer who could not find the usual codes etc on them, which was not really surprising.

I need someone who can look beyond the usual and knows how to access ALL data that is present on a CD.

This is very important to us as the C90 audio tapes from which the CDs were made have fairly certainly been edited of content.

Can someone help?

copy and paste one the files to your hard drive

open window explorer. go to tools, folder options, view. uncheck the hide extension option

first tell us what 3 digit extension do you see at the end of the name
next rename that extension to .wav from what it originally was
now try to play it

if that don't work, rename it to .cdda then try it

Hello Eric B,

I did what you said. The extension was .cda. I changed it to .wav but it wouldn't play. I then changed it to .cdda which launced iTunes player but it was unrecognised and still did not play. I don't understand how this will let me view other files that may be on the CD though?

I needed to know what type of file we were dealing with.
.cda is a valid cd audio file

open windows explorer go to tools, folder options, file types, go to .cda
click on it , hit the delete option. it will take it off

now hit the new file type option. type CDA. now hit the open with option , head the C/program files/ real.exe icon. make sure you check the 'always use this file to open with option'

now real one should play it. that is what you wanted it to do?

cda.jpg

progress said:
Progress - Update

I have still not resolved this. Yesterday (23 December) I took my CDs to a commercial CD producer who could not find the usual codes etc on them, which was not really surprising.

I need someone who can look beyond the usual and knows how to access ALL data that is present on a CD.

This is very important to us as the C90 audio tapes from which the CDs were made have fairly certainly been edited of content.

Can someone help?

Let me ask. Do the CDs play properly to your satisfaction.? If not, what problem are you having?

EricB and adaywayne

I have no problem playing the CDs. Please read my original question.

I am investigating whether the audiofiles on the CDs were edited before being burnt. As I said previously, a window launched labelled Sound Forge which seemed to suggest editing, but I never been able to repeat that launch.

I need to be able to interrogate the CDs beyond simply examining the audio tracks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom