CD Mystery

Status
Not open for further replies.

progress

Solid State Member
Can anyone advise me?

I recently had some conventional C90 audiotapes transferred onto CDs to the 'Red Book Standard' employing a HHB CDR 850 CD writing machine. It was supposedly a straight analogue to digital conversion without any computer processing.

However when I examined one of the CDs on my PC I got a window up saying 'Sound Forge'. I cannot recall exactly what I did to get the window to launch, but I was using RealPlayer at the time and was connected to the internet and was variously clicking on properties and the like to examine the CD. My system is Windows XP Pro with SP2.

I do not understand the technology but I have read that there are written as well as audio files on audio CDs and perhaps I saw one of those when the Sound Forge pane launched?

Does anyone have an opinion as to what occurred and does anyone know how I can launch the same window again? Try as I might, I cannot repeat the procedure.

Thanking anyone who can assist in advance.

first, check in start > control panel > settings > add remove programs to see if soundforge is loaded on your pc... this could have caused the window to open...
second how/who did you get the tapes transferred? if you went to a vendor it is possible that in creating a disk immage they have preset it to burn a trial copy or shareware version of this application, for several reasons.
you may try opening my computer with the cd in the computer and right click the cd drive... select "explore" and view what files are on the cd. if you see anything with soundforge or something like that click on a .exe or .htm / .html file to open what you may have previously seen.

Hello Roshi229.

No I haven't got Sound Forge on my computer and I have attempted to 'Explore' my CDs (numerously) but all that is indicated under 'Files Currently on the CD' is simply Track 1 and 2 and the iTunes logos.

The CDs were made in an audio forensic lab. For obvious reasons I cannot say too much more about that for now, but you will appreciate my concern having apparently found a reference to Sound Forge software on them.

Hello EricB. Thanks for replying.

What sort of detail can I give you? As I said in my initial post, I was checking out the CDs supplied to me and I seemingly accidently launched a pane that was entitled Sound Forge. I clicked off it before really identifying where it had come from, but was never able to get it back. I was looking at it using RealPlayer and I had clicked on their View Source Clip in the toolbar. This is what I thought launched the pane, but it didn't work thereafter and I am sure that the pane labelled Sound Forge was not a RealPlayer pane. It didn't have their silver surround. View Source Clip is identified by RealPlayer as only being available via their Helix Universal Server which I do not have, so how could that have been responsible in my case?

I simply do not know but my theory is that something triggered the Sound Forge pane/window to launch and I suspect it relates to written files not readily accessible on an audio CD. Surely someone on the forum must know how to reveal the non audio data on an audio CD?

it is more than likely the sound forge has associate itself with your files.

it could alo be an .iso or .ace file or something to that effect. right click on the file, select properties, and see what kind of file is it. It is suppose to be cdda.

what OS system are you using?

This is whole point, I cannot see what kind of file it is. Under properties the files have no label other than Tracks 01 and 02 and then under 'Opens with' it simply says 'iTunes'!

My OS is Windows XP Pro SP2. But again when you say my files have associated with Sound Forge, I simply don't have it nor anything remotely connected with it.

go to 'Opens with' then pick the 'choose progam' option, navigate to the program file/real one .exe icon

or try record them to your hard drive as wav's or mp3's files with a program like musicmatch jukebox

Thanks EricB, but I have tried these options already but nothing seems to allow me to "see inside" the CDs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom