CD and Floppy data/media storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

White_Wolf

Baseband Member
I've noticed that a lot of CD's that I burned data or media to, typically fails when I try to get files off of it. Mostly I run into several unreadable sectors. my CD-RW's do this the most. I can retrieve most of the stuff on the CD but there are always some things on practically every CD-RW that can't be retrieved due to corrupted sectors. The problem happens much less frequently on standard CD-R's, but still happens enough to be a pain.

I was wondering if this is the result of low quality CD's, a low quality CD writer, a bad Burning program (I mostly use the one built into WinXP), or just the nature of the beast.

Also, Floppy disks tend to be an equal nightmare. I can buy a new pack of floppy disks and 1 out of 3 will format, receive data, and then become corrupted the moment I try to retrieve that data. And it's almost never one bad sector. I typically get an error that says something like "this disk hasn't been formatted." or "cannot read from disk, it may be corrupt or damaged" or my disk drive won't even acknowledge there's a disk in the drive. Often these disks become so corrupted they can't even be re-formatted.

And again, I don't know whether it's my Floppy Drive, cheap floppy disks, or just the nature of todays floppy disks.

And it's not uncommon for some floppy disks to make a loud scuffing or scratching sound when placed into the drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom