CD & Copy Unusable

Status
Not open for further replies.

spidergeuse

Beta member
I have have heard that making copies of some CD's would cause the CD to be unusable anymore. Is this true and on what technology does this work. I really want to be sure.
Also, what happens to the copy made?
Thanks

Re:

Hello,

If you attempt to make a copy of...say the game...The Sims on CD-ROM onto a CD-R using Nero Burning ROM, then nothing will happen to The Sims CD-ROM, except that it has spinned a few times in the drive. It's impossible for a disc to stop functioning after attempting to copy it. The only way to stop a healthy CD from working is scratching its surface severely.

Nearly all purchased and legit CDs (such as music, software and games) are copyright protected....not just by law but also physically. Usually all that happens when you attempt to copy a copyrighted CD, is that the CD Burning Program will simply be unable to copy and burn the data. However, not all CD Burning Programs are unable to copy copyrighted discs (one example is Alcohol 120%).

Thanks Alvin. What almost got me confused is that, i was thinking the CD's could contain scripts such that when the are put into writers (say you use one writer for a CD to CD copy) then they would run to make the writer write something onto it to get it not functioning againg. Then it occured to me that what if the CD is full. Where does it write to. But i guess you explanation is very good for me. Thanks you very much.

When you think about it, if you put the CD to be copied in a normal CD drive, then there is no way that the drive can write to the CD, because it cannot burn CDs. The drive can't change the data on the CD at all, so you're safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom