Cassette Tapes to MP3's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerry_W

In Runtime
I have a bunch of old cassette tapes, and I've been thinking about converting them before they fall apart from.....plastic rotting. :rolleyes:

I tried using my MP3 Player (An iAudio G3, excellent, by the way), since it has line-in recording, but that turned out to be a gimmick. It sounded worse than an old LP record.

Any suggestions?

By the way, all I have to record from is an old sound system which was good back in its day (huge headphone jack, speakers connect using naked wires, the whole kaboodle) that can play tapes, and the aforementioned headphone jack. I could buy some other equipment if necessary.

--Bringing Myself out of the Stone Age, one Megabyte at a Time--

you can buy a tape drive for your computer off newegg i think, or if your soundcard has a line-in, use that maybe. I think you need a big headphone jack to the 1/8 mini jack adapter, but you can grab that at radio shack.

I've got one of those adapters (kudos to Sennheiser), so that's probably what I'll do, after I figure out how to lug my stereo system up to my computer. XD

nah, the easiest cheapest way is to get a line in line out cord.. its basically a cord wiht headphone jacks (2.5mm) on either end.. here is the process:

1) hook one end of the lilo cord to the headphone jack on the casette player

2) hook the other end up to the line in jack on the computer (NOT the microphone, the line in theres a BIG quality difference)

3) Start up recording software on your comptuer (should be with the soundcard stuff SB Audigy has a cpanel wiht a program in it for this, if not windows has one, Start->programs->Accessories->Entertainment-> Sound Recorder)

4) play back the section of tape you want recorded

5) stop the recording and save it with the filename you want.

I believe that windows saves it as a WAV file, so downlaod a free wav->MP3 encoder (look for LAME Encoder) and convert it.

its not hard, and all it costs is like 2 bux for the cable..

That's exactly what I was going to do. :D

I've got a line-in cable from my mp3 player, an old-style headphone jack adapter, an old stereo system, and Audacity (with LAME). I'm all set.:cool:

I've answer this a thousand time here. do a search

buy a good cassette player too. they are giving them away these days

You don't have to get all ****ed off. If you read the thread, my question has already been answered.

All these posts after the first 3 weren't necessary, and this one shouldn't be, either.

Thanks for your help,
Gerry

wow..

what's up with these new members?

they want flame people that are trying to help them. this is my second attack in 2 days. I got flamed yesterday for trying to show a guy have to port forward a router. he flamed me because I showed him how to do it on a different router than the one he had( I don't have his router), when if he had some common sense, he could have use it as a guide line to figure his out

back to you. I've answered this question so many time, I just didn't feel like typing all of the info. I was suggesting to you to type the subject up in a search box at the top of the post, because if you haven't noticed, I'm not the best typer.

newbie's like yourself has a tendencies to ask the same questions that have been ask a million times already. guess what?

on this forum, you will always get more than one answer as we are helpful around here. if you don't like this answer, so what? you should as least be appreciated that someboby tried to help you

I will make a note of your name, because you will never get my help again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom