Car MP3

Status
Not open for further replies.

ADZ

Fully Optimized
is it possible to get an old p1 and put an OS on it, and throw a decent sound card and hook it up to an amp and then hook the amp to my subs? I have a large car, and a hellov a lot of old computer parts. Alls i need is a decent sound card right? and of course some way to keep the computer running? perhaps a mini monitor?

lol yeah...im just that poor, its all about making the most of wat you got.

so quick qestion, you know those mini monitors like the ones the ppl use @ banks and food stores, the old IBM tiny monitors, could you plug one of them into a normal vidya card plug?

If you can't then you only need to change the pin-outs. Not all that tough really... Need a soldering gun and the right plug... maybe $5 in parts total... If you have a couple of hundred, get an old Laptop and use the LCD with it to run everything...

Well it will be put in a chevrolet caprice, x cop car. Fairly big ride. Somehow toying with the idea of putting it in the trunk and somehow rigging it up so the driver can see tha monitor, but havnt got any sketches yet.

I like the idea of the laptop monitor, could I even use an old P1 laptop? could i find a pcmcia soundcard that i could hook up???

one quick question...

If you're putting the cpu in the trunk, where are you putting your subs?

(and by all means, what you're wanting to do is very possible. I have my old 5gb iPod set up in my car this same way, almost. But essentially, you'll be doing the same thing.)

Good Luck! ;)

If memory serves, you should be able to Play MP3s with a 300 PII. IBM made a laptop called the 600 that was perfect for this type of application. Has a 13.3 LCD and was a very good platform. If you used a Linux distro, you could get a very small OS installed and then have all the rest of the space for MP3 storage.
Something to keep in mind though, is with spinning media, you have the chance of the head hitting the platter. So either get a good mounting bracket that allows for a floating surface or keep extra HDDs near at hand...
Portable players work well cause they are small and have little mass, but with a laptop, the mass is the enemy cause even a small fall or bounce carries a great deal more force...

The displays are pretty simple to change over to a standard plug type, but you have to add in a power converter and get the wiring right for that or you risk a little blowout...

I have 2 12s in a huge case, but my trunk can fit many things in it!

I ave no idea how im going to do this...humm

have to start planning this one out

im thinking of making a centre console between the 2 fonrt seats (it was an x cop car, so all that kinda stuff was ripped out) So i think i have a place to store the CPU, its just the monitor that im unsure about

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom