Car Audio problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

nVdia

In Runtime
Well I just installed two new 5X7 speakers in my car, and when I turn up the volume on my deck they start to make a distorted and crackling noise. I have a after market sony deck rated at 52w x 4. The speaker brand is MTX and are rated for 60watt. My ground wire is proper and I have soderd connections to the speakers. If any one knows anything please let me know thanks!

This belongs in the Audio and Multimedia area. Check out that area you will see all car related audio stuff goes there.

What model are they? It sounds as though you didn't match them up properly. If they are rated at 60watts peak, then you have issues. If they are rated at 60watts RMS, then you still have a bit of an issue. They can't handle the power, and it sounds like you are sending them lots of a low frequencies causing them to pop. 5x7's are a midrange speaker... not meant for low's.

You need to put a high-pass filter on them (sometimes called a bass blocker). You can either do this from your headunit (if your headunit has that function), or you can buy an actual filter.

Are they new?

they wierd shape of the 5x7 mean that you have to send high and mid frequency but no bass.

you can improve your sound by getting 5x7 plates which have a tweeter and a 3 1/2 or 4 inch speakers in them like these

Audiobahn AS57PV Car Speaker - Yahoo! Shopping

if you must keep the one that you have get a 100 microfarad or 141 microfarad cap for each of them

Your speakers aren't getting enough power. Your speakers take 60W RMS but your head unit is only putting out 15-20W RMS. The number you see on your Head Unit is the *peak* power, not RMS. Peak power honestly means nothing. Underpowering your speakers causes that distortion you speak of at high volume levels, and thats really bad for the speakers and head unit.

You need a 4-channel amp to power your speakers which will give them clean power. The result is loud and clear sound. Simple as that. And yes if your speakers aren't crossed, then get crossovers. But aftermarket amps have crossovers. So get that first.

yeah. if you know math and electronics, you would know that it is impossible to put out more than 18, 19 watts rms in a deck in a 12 volt environment. in the late 90's and early 2000's alpine came out with a dc step up transfohttp://www.techist.com/forums/members/ralliart882/rmer that wasn't in the headunit (it was pigtailed to it) as you couldn't put one inside the deck because it caused too many issues (interference, heat, etc.). it could do 30 watts rms (27 actually). they were the first 60x4 deck. remember the alpine deck that warned you to hook the yellow wire straight to the battery. other companies just lied to equal alpine's number. but these day nobody does that anymore to decks because that was a more expensive option because it more economic to just lie

adding more power will increase your problem if you have no crossover. I'd take them back personally for plate because 5x7 was the worst speaker design ever made. speaker need piston like performance, meaning they need to be round

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom