Can you download a sound card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol.. i almost laughed out loud here at work as well..

but that was a rude answer

to answer your question

no you can't download a sound card

a soundcard is a physical object used to produce sound.. you would need to buy one.. or obtain one in some way, and install it via the pci or pci-e slot.. depending on which sound card you get

you may just be thinking of sound drivers or something of the sort..

sound drivers being the device used to produce sound with a certain set of hardware

persay... your motherboard.. it needs proper drivers to produce with

No sir, Sound cards are hardware, maybe you're thinking of drivers for the sound card?

Some laptops use a software version of Audigy. But, no, a sound card is a card that must be installed inside or attached to a computer.

I'll try and compose myself.

The chances are you are infact refering to sound drivers, guessing that you got prompted for incorrect sound drivers or something along them lines. Just type in the driver name on google that came up in the error and download the latest one.

Best of luck.

Nope,

Sound card is a hardware that needs to be installed to create a sound. You can't download it. Just go in a computer store in buy it there..

:)

Yeah, sound card is hardware, it's a physical object and you can't download it (physically impossible). However, if your computer isn't ancient (like newer than say 10 years old), it more than likely already has a sound card built in (integrated into the motherboard or PCI). If you have headphone jack-sized ports on the back of your PC, that means you already have a sound card. You'll need to find out what model it is, sometimes you can find this by opening your PC and looking at the board (if it's a PCI one) or checking the Device Manager in Windows. If yours is integrated (on the motherboard), then it is probably a Realtek (very common) or SigmaTel (Dell uses these), there are others too but these are the only ones I've seen. If your motherboard/PC came with installation CD's, look for the one that says Drivers.

If you don't have a sound card, buy a new one. If you just need basic sound, you can get a really cheap one for like $5-10 or if you listen to music often, play games, etc, you can get a nicer one.

You can also use a program like Everest to find out what sound chip your mobo has.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom