Can I use my computer as a PA system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trite

Beta member
I was wondering if i could use my speakers, microphone and computer as a sort-of PA system. Like, if i were to speak into the microphone and make it be amplified out of my speakers at the same time i am speaking without having to record myself speak then listen to it. I am a musician and i am trying to be cheap and save money by not having to buy another PA and mic because those are at my friends house where we practice. so if anyone can help i'd appreciate it. please e-mail me your response or notify me because i am new here and do not check this forum very often. THANX

Yes, absolutely, but only if you have the following: A soundcard capable of transfering the data (the right connections for a mic to go in and for the data to come out and connect with--->) an amplifier/reciever (connected normally to your speakers)....any stereo reciever should work (like one with a cd input, an aux input, a phono input) Take your mic (XLR or 1/4-1/8th inch connector) and adapt it to go into your computer (usually 1/8th inch), then take the output from your soundcard (1/8th inch) and adapt that to RCA, which most recievers use.....

oh.. well i dont have my stereo system in here. i am just using a computer microphone. like a little $5.00 thing and then my computer speakers. i was just wondering if i could have an output from my speakers as i talk/sing into the mic. is that possible? or do i need to get a whole stereo thing in here.. ?

thanx!:cool:

Yes, as long as your soundcard has an input for the mic, then that should work(it should, most motherboard's onboard sound can do this)....did you try to set this up and it didn't work? or were you trying to record it and couldn't? It could be (if you can't play your track, sing, and record at once) that your processor just can't handle it....or possibly the recording software. (although doing it this way works, the sound quality isn't going to be great, but just because of the mic...)

If you go into your volume control by double clicking the speaker in your taskbar, click options, properties, put a check in the box by mic, click okay, then uncheck Mute, you should hear the mic thru your speakers... check mute to turn it back off. . .

woo! thanx man. you rock. the mute thing did the trick. thank you so much. this will help me practice. thanx to the both of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom