Buzzing through speakers...

Status
Not open for further replies.

twin4819

Solid State Member
Ok I just recently installed a new PSU(yesterday), and I started hearing this buzzing sound come through my speakers. I've talked to a few others and they say it may be a power supply issue but I'm not sure.

It didn't buzz when I had my old PSU in but it was going out so I bought a new one and then when I turned on the computer with the new psu in and turned my speakers on...I could hear this strange buzzing sound. I'm using Logitech Z-5500's, Creative X-Fi Xtreme Music soundcard, and colorIT 500W PSU.

Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

And you also unplugged and replugged the speakers back in when replacing the supply. You may want to look over the plugs and jacks to see if one became loose as well as reducing the volume/levels in the Creative sound panel.

With the XtremeGamer model here I raise the speaker volume after lowering the mixer due to a hum being heard. That seems to be a common problem with the newer line of Creative sound cards.

Ok I checked everything in the mixers and I'm still receiving a buzz. It's like a light buzz in all the speakers and subwoofer...and I can hear a really high pitched sound coming out too if that helps any.

With no signal the XtremeGamer model here with give off the typical humming sound you hear from audio systems like the old amps for turntables on stereo systems back in the 70s. The high pitch points at some electrical interference if not a problem with the card itself. Sounds like an old feedback loop of some type.

Well the card worked fine until I installed the new PSU. Some other techies had told me it may deal with some grounding or something in the new PSU?

Any audio amplifier, audio processing chip, or application circuit will tend to pick up on anything not fully shielded just like an antenna. You still will catch cb radios at times coming through speakers on rare occasions if you are near any main roads to show how that goes. EF is picked up just like RF.

power supply (transformer) hum. put the old one back in and see if it goes away. then buy another power supply. look for a one that is isolated better

That colorIT brand name sounds like a cheap generic name there. When looking at supplies 500w or higher I expect to pay at least $70-$80 for a start to see a half way good make and model. Sometimes you can grab one of the top names with a rebate offer to save on cost.

Dont go cheap on power supplys, get a name brand such as antec, thermaltake, hiper...etc. A power conditioner can also get rid of unwanted buzzing/noise and protect the system from power spikes and fluctuations.

As far as the buzzing or humming like an old amp sound that seems to be Creative's problem there with the X-Fi series cards. The Audigy line never saw any of this.

The new build here sees an OCZ GameXStream 700w supply where you can tell the design of the card is the problem. A conditioner is one thing to look at however while the high pitched sound is never heard. Corsair, OCZ, Channel Well, Seasonic, Enhance, FSP Group all make some of the best supplies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom