Buzzing with Mic

Status
Not open for further replies.

intent

Solid State Member
Greetings,

I have a Sony Vaio VGC-RC110G

Ever since I bought it I have had a buzzing sound whenever I use a MIC. At first I thought it was the headset. I have tried various headsets and just a mic without a headset and no matter what I use I get a buzzing sound. If I use a Headset I can hear the buzzing sound in the headset even when there is no sound playing. There is no buzzing when I am using just the speakers. I have tried different speakers, a new motherboard (it is a onboard soundcard so the sound card was replaced also) I have tried unplugging everything but the PC that is plugged in close to the PC hoping it was something simple like that. I have updated to Sony's current Sigmatel Audio Drivers. I have also tried putting the bios back to default thinking it could have been the BIOS. Nothing seems to work. I am out of ideas.

The buzzing is in any mic recording that I make or if I am on voice chat it is in the voice chat.

I have it a temporary fix by using a USB headset. I know this does not use the on board soundcard so I am guessing there is a issue with my plugs or something but, I don't have a open PCI slot so a new soundcard is not a option. (If soundcard is my only option to fix this has anyone tried the USB soundcards by Soundblaster?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

check ALL of your volume levels. are any of them more than 75% of the way up? with onboard sound, levels above this can often introduce distortion and noise.

otherwise, are you using a CRT monitor by chance? radiation from CRT monitors causes a buzzing in amps, some mic recordings, etc. You may need a mic/headset with better shielding or a new monitor. sometimes the buzzing comes from EMI from your computer. If you have a large window in your case or an opening, radiation can leak out, causing interference. Try turning on CPU spread spectrum in the BIOS.

I am using a 8MS 19 inch LCD monitor it is less then 4 months old (bought it when I bought the PC.)

I am beginning to think I need a high quality mic and need to play with the settings. I did get it not to buzz this morning by playing with all the different sound levels but, it was so soft that I am not sure if the buzzing was just so soft couldn't hear it or not there at all.

I have been looking at the Sennheiser 165 USB Gaming Headset. I have read lots of reviews on it that are great plus it can be either USB or Reg PC Soundcard Jacks. So I figure I could try it with the original jacks and if nothing else end up with the USB (because this model actually has a soundcard in the USB jack for the Headset) From what I have read the USB Jack sound card may actually be better then my on board card anyhow.

My Logitech 350 USB works ok but the quality is still kinda soft (everyone has to turn up their speakers to max to hear me fully). I am just so tired of buying headsets that I am scared to buy another one to end up in my junk drawer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom