building audio computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

josayle

Beta member
Hey there people, how's it runnin?

Question-
I'm trying to build an "audio machine" the computer that allows recording editing (using cubase sx and what not )playing wav midi etc. I'm told there are so many things to think about. I'm not sure what my budget is yet because i have no clue what to buy.
If there is an audio guy out ther I would appreciate advice as to what to get (let say up to 2000-3000 bucks to get an idea!!??)

thanks
Josayle

I don't know everything about building an audio rig, but I'll offer my 2 cents since no one else is chiming in.

If its gonna be for audio, I think that this should probably be it's backbone: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=29-102-164&depa=0 . At $221 it could probably be the most expensive part of your PC, depending how elaborate you want it to be.

I also recommend starting with a harddrive like this one http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=22-144-154&depa=1 and you can always add another one down the road. If you're working with high quality audio files, you'll be glad to have at least 250GB.

You could probably put together a pretty mean audio machine for 1500-2000. If you want to spend a bit more, it could be a mean gaming machine, too. Let me know where you want to go with that.

Yeah, I actually built a PC for my brother not too long ago, he's a guitar player and wanted to do some specfic things with it.

Here's what he's got:
P4 3.2GHz
ATX case w/500w PSU
1gig PC3200
(2) SATA HDD's 200gig @7200rpm
Radeon 9800pro
***Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum w/ external controls.
DVD-rom / Burner Multidrive.

The Audigy2 ZS Platinum w.external controls is great for musicians. He can integrate many instruments and other equipment into his PC for recording and mixing. He actually can use his PC and Speaker system as a Amp for his quitar. He plugs the Guitar right in to the external control box. Creative also has a ton of great sound effects that he can manipulate for wild sounds for his guitar. He records playing to his HDD than, adds backup music and burns them to a CD.

He love's the system.

I am on the same boat as you. But i know the spec that i am looking for. This spec is for all multimedia purposes, especially music production (cubase sx), and for extreme gaming.

Intel Pentium 4 HT Extreme Edition
120gb+ Hard Disc Drive
1024mb (1G) DDR Ram
256MB ATI Radeon X850XT Platinum (Graphics Card)
16x max. DVD +/- RW with dual layer write capability
Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS 7.1 Soundcard.

But i would buy some external 'Roland DS50A speakers.

WiZ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom