Build PC for PVR to dump CAble

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runfox

In Runtime
I am looking at bringing internet content to my Big Screen TV and local channel brodcasts, to see if my wife and I can watch the shows we enjoy and get rid of our big cable bill next year.

I have seen some really exciiting products coming out such as ASUS EeeBox PC EB1006 Nettop PC, which is a super compact PC with the atom proccessor, and NVIDIA Ion 1080p graphics, which would give you excellent net content on your TV. However how do I record local brodcasts from antena as I do with my PVR right now? I guess they make Personel Digital recoreders for that , but it seams the best choice would be a PC by the TV that gives me internet contnent and with a TV tuner/ PVR software?? I found at tuner card on NewEgg, Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 Media Center Kit Dual TV Tuner , but it seams to use old software and is still analog and digital. I dunno it looks outof date to me.

Is anyone else out there watching local TV with an antena and recording their shows? Id like to know how I can have a PVR on my PC, , that way I would have HD storage and internet and all in one PC.

philbar71, thanks , yeah I was looking at various tuner cards, I guess they come with recording software right? So you can set your HTPC up as a PVR right? I am hoping to get an atenna and see what local digital channels I can recive and record. And then if my wife and I can get along with that setup we could loose the big monthly cable bill.

I read about poeple using thier HTPC to record cable but dont most people use the PVR from the cable company for that? I pay a small fee per month for the cable box /PVR from my cable company and record all our shows. I'm just wondering how the tuner card and software will compare to the PVR from my cable company. That PVR will let me record two channels at once or watch one and record a diff one. Basicly it has two tuners, and a hard drive.
EricB how do you like your set up?

it working fine. I used it for years, but when I got my dvr I stopped using. it really work better. but the dvr is easier to access. windows media (is built in vista and windows 7) could control any cable box too with it's remote control and recorder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom