big problem with sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

nico

Beta member
I've been having this problem for a few months already and I have no idea what the problem might be.

No matter what I do on my computer, playing games, listening to music, ... no matter wich program I use, every now and then (at irregular times) my sound just drops out. Then I don't have sound for anything between 5 to 15 seconds.

In a movie/sound program (mediaplayer, winamp,...) when the sound drops out and I try to move the progressbar my computer freezes and I have to reboot. If I try to move the bar when I have sound there is no problem. In games I can just continue gaming without sound, it doesn't crash.

Now this is very strange, because I cannot detect any software problems, i dont seem to have any virus and the hardware should be OK aswell although that is not checked yet.

If there would be anyone who would have any idea what this could be I would be very gratefull.

I also have another, yet less important problem. My DVD player only plays CD's... If I enter a DVD my pc doesn't even recognize anything in the player. If I enter a CD he does... any advise?

Thanks in advance,

a desperate user
nico

do you have onboard sound card or PCI sound card

(Onboard - sound jacks are directly on the motherboard)

(PCI - completely seperate from the motherboard, in the PCI slots)

on-board sound card

I have an onboard soundcard on my asus motherboard.

I haven't reinstalled my drivers but they should be up to date, but i'll check that.

uninstall them, then reinstall them from the disc that came with your motherboard.

this seems to fix a fast majority of audio problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom