A Backup question..... (Safest way for a non tech-person?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DroogieX

Beta member
Hi, I was reading some topics here about backup methods, I'm not a really tech people but I can understand with a little more info, ok, I want to know which is the safest way to backup my music collection, I have now a 250GB HD (Western Digital) that I almost filled (mp3's), I just have 5GB left and I want to backup all of that to another new hard drive, I use a laptop and my HD with music is in an external USB 2.0 enclousure, I want to backup to another external USB 2.0 HD, same as the one I have, so far when I move files from my laptop to my HD I just use the windows explorer and "Ctrl+C" the folder I want to move and after it gets copied I check if the file size is the same to "make sure" it was copied ok, if so then I delete the one on my laptop, but, I don't know if that's a secure method for backing up files, someone here mentioned "SyncToy" as a good way to backup but I don't know if I should need to sync folders, does that means that I have to have both HD's connected always in order for it to work?, 'cause I rather want to back up and store in a safe place one of the HD's, I'd like an utility that can check also for the integrity of the files as they are copied, so far I haven't had any corrupted files while "backing up" the way I do but now that I want to backup a whole HD of 250GB I want to do it in the safest way.....

Any comments apprecieated

Thanks

The method you currently use will work just fine. You really don't need any softare if all you want to do is a one time back up of data (like the mp3s). Just swap in an empty hard drive and copy from your current drive to the empty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom