backup mp3s to DVD

Status
Not open for further replies.

dustin999

Beta member
I'm looking for DVD backup software for my mp3 collection. Unfortunately, I'm not really sure what I want..

I currently have a linux server with one drive hosting approximately 60 gigs of mp3s. As I've already lost my collection once to hard disk failure, I'm walking on thin ice right now as we speak.

I'd like to find software that will archive my entire collection of mp3s onto several disks, taking care of the task of splitting everything up. That's fairly obvious. However, I'd also like it to do a binary diff on all of the data and only archive changes.

The reason is, while my entire collection is fairly static, occasionally I'll find an mp3 with bad id3 tag information, or maybe an album that's missing a file, etc. I'd like a solution that accomodates these scenarios and allows me to incrementally modify my collection and only archive off the changes periodically.

And along this same idea, it would be really cool if it ran under linux for instance (or as a system process in windows) and would periodically go and rebuild the iterative diff, using the last backup to DVD as a starting reference point, so that way I could have a cron job or something that runs once a week let's say, and once that snapshot reached 4.5 gigs, I could archive it to DVD as a new snapshot..

Or, if I made a lot of changes to my collection and wanted to save off the work, I could make a snapshot right then.

Does such a solution exist? It seems like I'm asking for quite a bit. I'm aware that the best solution is some RAID sort of configuration, and while I will eventually go that route, I'm just looking for something quick and dirty for now.

Thanks,
Dustin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom