Backing up DVD

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishaholic18

Solid State Member
I just got a DVD burner.
What are the steps to backing up my DVD movies?
What DVD's should I buy to do it?
I have downloaded Img tool,DVD shrink,DVD decrypter, andCD burn XP. Please help, I'm clueless. Thanks in advance.

what type of dvd burner do you have? is it duel layer? if so you probably won't have to compress any dvd's , i just have a single layer burner and how i back up my dvd's is i use dvdshrink. Open dvdshrink and click open disk make sure the dvd is in the tray select the disk then make a folder on the desktop or wherever you want it and then after it opens the disk it will give you options to select i normally just make the special features as low quality as possible (if you have a dual layer burner check no compression from the drop down menu) if not get rid of em all togeather (that way movie is high quality) then click "Backup" and then select the destination folder and make sure you check "make autio_ts and vider_ts folders" gotta have those......the click the start or backup button to back it up.........it whould take 45 mins or so depending on how fast ur cpu is......then once it's done just open a burning software like roxio or nero and ( i use instant dvd) then make a data disk of the audio and video_ts folders........and BOOM ur done......hope this helps......and of by the way i use DVD+r and dvd-r they both work fine........haven't gotten a dvd+rw to work yet.......well happy backing up.......btw a standard 4.7gb dvd can only hold 4.38gb (don't ask why)

I have a Lite-On SOHW-1633S , I believe it's dual layer.
Are movie DVD's all burnable or are they write protected?

their normally write encrypted but dvdshrink gets past this with advanced decryption........if you have dual layer select the no compression for an exact copy

fishaholic18 said:
I have a Lite-On SOHW-1633S , I believe it's dual layer.
Are movie DVD's all burnable or are they write protected?

Almost all movies are write-protected, yes, but there are ways to decrypt them. I use a freeware program called DVD Shrink to rip and burn all of my backup DVD's. It's very easy to use and you can download it for free at the link below.

http://www.dvdshrink.org/what.html

-Dan The Man

fishaholic18 said:
What type/brand of dvd's should I buy?

I've never really had a problem with off-brand DVD+R's or DVD-R's. Memorex and TDK are both good brands though.

-Dan The Man

ya i normally use memorex neve used any other brand...........they all seem to work fine ....the thing i like i like about dvd shrink is the ability to compress the video..........i cant find a program that will let me do that while disk drive to disk drive copying...........if u know of any....please tell!~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom