audio probs

Status
Not open for further replies.

jokergirlie

Beta member
hi guys

I was hoping one of you could help me as I've looked through all the audio problem posts and seen a lot that got working. I have tried some of the things that were suggested to others in the hope one of them would be my fix as well, but to no avail.
I have an asrock K7VM4 motherboard (333fsb DDR 333) 256MB DDR333 PC2100, with integrated 5.1 channel sound. it's an AMD duron processor (1600 i think) and AC'97 PCI audio device, either c-media or via, not sure, neither driver has worked, and that's where i get to my problem. forgive me if i ramble! but i just want to be as thorough about what i've done and what it's doing as possible.
when i got it, it had windows pro xp installed, the sound didn't work then either, but i thought it was the very cheap little speakers that it came with it didn't work, so didn't think anything at the time. then i installed windows 98se just because my other computer has it and since i have the cd i felt better having 98se on the new pc as well. so sound has still never worked. i've tried to uninstall and reinstall drivers, ones on the cd for the motherboard as well as ones from windows update, a supposed patch from asrock.com, one from realtek. i've checked the bios and have tried both audio 'auto' and 'enabled', i saw something saying to set the 133mhz to 100mhz and tried that even.
now , when i uninstall the drivers and re-start, it does recognise new
hardware and finds the drivers for the audio, both the mpu 401 compatible and the ac'97 (and i've directed it to different drivers when the wizard goes), but still doesn't work.. there are absolutely no errors anywhere in the device managers and all the drivers say working properly and says to use/exists in this hardware. shows no conflicts or problem devices in the system information. the speaker plug was checked and it was plugged in, and i even plugged in the good speakers from my other pc, which are even proper surround speakers.
so when i try to play any sound or mp3 or anything with sound, it has the "audio hardware not found" message. if you play an audio cd, the cd shows tracks etc but plays no sound, if a new cdrom with sound is tried to play (as in my daughters' Noddy in Toyland cd etc ), it just freezes.
there's no speaker/vol control on the task bar. and it is said to show it if i go to it's properties through the start menu. but if you try to open it, it just doesn't open. if you try and open the info for the surround volume prog it came with on the motherboard cd (XEAR 3D cmi audio configuration) it would just freeze (i've uninstalled/reinstalled etc. that prog in case it didn't like it but didn't help). I opened all the properties for the volume on the other pc and everything looks the same. a few things in general i notice are different is that when you go under multimedia, my old pc (which has a sound card and not integrated) shows a wave out device for playback and midi etc. and you can press the volume control buttons and has vol control on the taskbar. on the new pc it only has voice modem wave and game compatible device and you can't open the volume there either, the button is shaded grey out. and if you go under sounds, the play button doesn't show, is also greyed out, so you can't push it to even try sounds whereas the other one does. i also uninstalled the wmp 9.0 reading somewhere maybe it was too high for 98se as well. one thing i noted was one thing i read said to make sure in bios that the '5.1 channel audio' was enabled, in my bios it only says 'audio'. the midi was disabled, i enabled it and tried different settings but didn't help and don't know if it even needs to be enabled or not.
i've tried to d/l the same driver from asrock thinking maybe something's wrong with the cd, but no help either.

the few things i've not tried that i'm aware of trying is reinstalling windows and trying a bios update. so if there's anything anyone can think of before i go and try those it would be so greatly appreciated. there may be a few more things i left out but just can't think of them right now (as if there needs to be anymore LOL)

thanks for the time,
Beverly

:D

umm... sounds to me like the onboard sound might just be fugged... plain and simple... but i'm not sure.

you might wanna try just getting a cheapo sound card or gettin a sound card out of another machine and installing it in there, see if that works for ya.

thank you ever ever so much for the time! and thanks for the reply rmcelroy as well.

it's too big to attach the whole thing that comes up so i put what will hopefully be what you need to see. let me know if it's not.

cheers,
beverly

Attachments

• Ã￾½Ö»Ã￾¡¹·.gif
    67.8 KB · Views: 258
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom