Audio help plz!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcman0226

Solid State Member
I have recently set up my stereo in the same room as my computer, and would like to have the sound play on the computer speakers as well as the stereo speakers. I setup the cables no problem, but the sound will not come out of the stereo speakers. I narrowed the problem down to the computer settings, in my sound settings, there is a checkbox for "Digital Output Only". When this is selected, the sound comes throught the computer speakers only, but when deselected, sound only comes from the stereo speakers. Is there a way to fix this so that sound will play on both? Thx for the help.

You simply need to patch out of your sound card" 1/8" jack (mini) to RCA stereo (white and red) available at radio shack or best buy etc. You simply put the RCA's to the input audio of your stereo amp. You also need to use a 1/8" spliter so you can use your computer spekers as well: 1/8" jack male split to 2 x 1/8" female. You got it? The splitter is used to connect the lines to the stero and the puter speakers at the same time.

That's how i have it setup, but the sound will only come out of one or the other. I need to figure out how to modify the settings of my computer around that "Digital Output Only" selection.

It sounds to me like cable issues. Lets get this straight:

You've bought a Y-splitter and you plug the end into the speaker jack of your computer. Then from each end of the splitter, you plug a speaker system/stereo.

It sounds to me like you have plugged the computer speakers into the digital output jack and the stereo speakers into the speaker output jack. You should only plug ONE cable into your soundcard and that is a Y-splitter as mentioned above.

EDIT: This is what your setup should look like --- >

SCpanel.jpg

Yes, I'm already setup like that, i just need help with my computer settings. Apparently, my computer speakers can only run on digital, and my stereo can't, i just need to find a way (if any) to have both on simultaneously.

I seriously doubt that is true. what kind of speakers are we talking about here? Is it possible that your stereo receiver is set to the wrong input channel. There should be a selector of some type on the face plate. What type of receiver? And where on the back of the receiver do you have the RCA jacks inserted?

I have the correct input selected. I can get the computer and stereo speakers to work seperately, but not at the same time.

Ok, I checked out the stereos FAQ, and found out that it only supports analog input. I'm assuming, then, that my computer speakers only support digital sound (Boston Digitall BA735). There isn't a way to have my computer send both analog AND digital signals, is there?

Yes there is, but not with what you have. you would need to invest some money in a digitial/analog hard disk recording system like a delta 1010, motu 2408, or echol layla amoung others. you are now trying to enter a new audio world with multiple signal access. Welcome to the world of Home Project Studio recording!! Your stero amp is not set up for digital and I doubt you will find one that is. If you have your output signal set to digital...your stereo components won't recognize it. Is the input to the puter speakers S/Pdif or Light pipe? I'll look the boston digital ba735 up on google and check it out. fasinating!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom