Archiving Multimedia - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Technology > Computer Audio and Multimedia
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 12:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Archiving Multimedia

I wish to back up all my media for the long-term. I know of two options available:

1. Purchase a USB/Firewire hard drive
2. Kodak Gold Preservation DVD-R's

Which of these two options is the best for the long term (eg 50+ years)? Are there hard drives out there that will not become corrupt if they are used say, once per year and then resealed in their packages and stored at room temperature? Or will the discs on the drive still warp and become ruined?

What about high quality DVD's? I know Kodak has their 24 Karat Gold DVD's that are supposed to last between 80 and 300 years, but they do not appear to have Dual Layer DVDs in this format.

Ultimately I'd like to get a pack of gold plated dual layer BlueRay discs because they'll hold 50 GB per disc, but I don't know where to get them.

Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks for your time,

Alex

Old 12-23-2007, 06:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

Default Re: Archiving Multimedia

you answered your own question

Old 12-24-2007, 07:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexkmoore View Post
I wish to back up all my media for the long-term. I know of two options available:

1. Purchase a USB/Firewire hard drive
2. Kodak Gold Preservation DVD-R's

Which of these two options is the best for the long term (eg 50+ years)? Are there hard drives out there that will not become corrupt if they are used say, once per year and then resealed in their packages and stored at room temperature? Or will the discs on the drive still warp and become ruined?

What about high quality DVD's? I know Kodak has their 24 Karat Gold DVD's that are supposed to last between 80 and 300 years, but they do not appear to have Dual Layer DVDs in this format.

Ultimately I'd like to get a pack of gold plated dual layer BlueRay discs because they'll hold 50 GB per disc, but I don't know where to get them.

Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks for your time,

Alex
Okay first off Gold Plated discs will not last any longer than regular discs. The surface is what matters. If you burn the media then store it at the appropiate temps and dont scratch them. Then a regualr DVD will do just fine. Also their claims of 80-300 years is bogus. Because any burnt media only lasts upwards of 30 years or so. This was jsut found out like the past 5 or so years that when CD burning started out that the media started to corrupt after 10-15 years. DVD burning is no different.

Also why would a Hard Drive warp at room temp? It is within the required range so for what reason would you think they would warp??

Also getting a Gold Plated Blu-Ray disc....wont happen anytime soon. Since the HD war is still going on with a new comer in teh mix VMD you wont see any company out there put gold plating on a disc to use for burning when the burners them selves still go for over $400.

No matter what your choice is you will run the risk of data lose and corruption. That is the way of the PC. Even hard drives can not store data FOREVER without some lose or corruption. It is a irsk we all run.

So put it on whatever media you wish. Just check it every 5 years or so.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 12-24-2007, 10:45 AM   #4 (permalink)

Just burn it to a plain DVD, then every 5 to 10 years, copy the old disks to new ones, now you have 2 copies, one new and one old. If that's too expensive, then you can use hard drives, but those have a high risk of crashing, especially when they get old.

Old 12-24-2007, 10:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
lolwut?

Just get two of whatever media, lets say harddrive. Get two and copy it exactly. Every year or two, check both to see if they work. If one crashes, replace it. Chances are both wont crash at the same time
Old 12-24-2007, 11:09 AM   #6 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

I got my stuff backed up to lot of different stuff

dvds, hard drives, ipods,etc.

Closed Thread