Anyone used WinFast Tv 2000 to capture vcr to pc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beta member
I am not sure how to use my WinFast TV2000 card to capture vcr to my pc.

From my vcr there are two (left and right) audio out ports and one video. I connect one audio out from vcr to audio in on WinFast card and the video out from my vcr to a converter type cord that plugs into what appears to be like a s-video in port.

The audio in cord doesn't seem to fit real properly which makes me wonder if its correct. It seems a bit loose but I could just be paranoid. Who;s there ... is anyone listening?

Once all conected up I am not sure how to start capturing the video. Do you use the PVR or other software that came with the card eg: Video studio 7? I do not seem to know how to 'tune' the card to accept the video source. Should I be using the video / audio out of the vcr or the tv? Does it matter? Note: tv does not have s-video - would have cost another $400 an thought it wasn't worth it.

Details of my card can be found here (with pictures!... LOL)
http://www.bjorn3d.com/_preview.php?articleID=217

If anyone has used this card and or software to convert VCR recordings to mpeg or avi or whatever, your assistance would be appreciated.

Many thanks,
Newbie to video / pc editing.
-------------------------------
P111 2.67
512 RAM
128M GForce MX440
80G HDD
WIN XP

First, you do not need to connect this card to your TV. The only output it has is the Audio Out that you use a patch cable to run to the Audio In of your sound card. Otherwise, it is an input card designed to receive TV signals via cable, antenna or satellite, FM radio and my main use for capturing video from a Hi8 camcorder, but the same method works for a VCR. The Audio In, Audio Out and Remote ports on the card use 1/8 pins, not RCA connectors. That may be why things seem loose. That will require an adaptor on the end of your RCA patch cable coming from the Audio Out of your VCR. If you are going to capture your audio in Hi-Fi, you will need a Y- Patch cable to connect the Right and Left out from your VCR and then a 1/8 adaptor into the Audio In of the card. Be sure that you connect the Audio Out of the TV card to the Audio In of your sound card so you can hear what is being recorded. There is a really great diagram that comes with the card that details exactly how to connect the card to your cable or satellite system, camcorder or VCR.

As for the software for capturing, editing and authoring your videos, the copy of Uleads VideoStudio 7.0 included with the card is just fine. My card is a year old and came with 6.0. Be sure you check the Ulead website for any updates, patches, etc. When you bring up the VideoStudio software, there should be what resembles a TV screen in the middle of the GUI, and several tabs across the top of the GUI that start with New Project and end with something like Finish. There should also be a tab called Capture. I think it is on this tab that you tell the app what your video source is. Turn on your VCR so that a signal can get to your capture card. If you are connecting via RCA cables from your VCR, you will have had to connect them to the card via a Y - cable that has a female RCA connector on one end of the Y. You will be given options of where to accept your input for the video source and you will want to select CVBS (composite video). If you are correctly connected, you should see a picture when the VCR starts to play the tape. If not, just change input sources till you get a picture, but I think you should work right away with the CVBS imput. I have used VideoStudio exclusively and really get very nice results. The Ulead website should have some very detailed tutorials you can download and print off, as well as some user designed tutorials that you can search for through Google. NERO 6.0 Ultra will also capture and edit with this card. When you install the software it will detect the card, so there should be no problems with that end.

Good luck. The rewards of a video project are really wonderful, but you better be ready to spend some long, hard hours at this because there is so much to learn and as for me, I feel the learning curve is steep. But in the end, it is worth it. Just try to have some fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom