Anyone know about hooking up tvs to your pc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shirtbird

Baseband Member
I want to get a new widescreen monitor 26-30 in.(my video card can support vga, dvi, s-cable) Well my brother told me that if I were to cheap out and get a s-video rather than a dvi tv that it will only last 1-2 years; and will burn out while using it as a monitor. I think thats wrong. Anyone know how it works? Thanks

I've never heard of that in which your brother is talking about. I haven't even seen a DVI TV, but I'm not 'hip to the jive' with TVs so I don't know. I use my TV in the living room all time with the S-Video from my moms laptop so that we can watch movies on it. Works great for movies, but not so much for general usage and or gaming because the refreshrates suck and they simply aren't made to be used as monitors

i cant give you the answer but i can help you think, has your bro ever used a svideo tv as a monitor for 1-2 years? if not then maybe consider not listening to him. but that still doesnt get your question answered

Up until HDTV's started coming out, and the new plasmas, you really couldn't find a TV with a DVI hookup. In fact, you still gotta search for them.

He's probably talking about the RCA video input jacks instead of the S-video port.

Either way, it's pretty bogus. The signal going to a TV does not control the TV. The TV can only display an image at the capabilities of the TV not the vid-card. If the vid card is sending a signal at 75hz and the TV can only support 60hz, the image is going to come through at 60hz.

The only thing I CAN say is that TV's aren't meant to display static images for long periods of time, nor do they handle displaying white for a long periods of time. This is common on a computer, though, so you will be effectively hurting your TV by doing that.

Although monitors are so cheap right now, if you've got the money to fork out for a TV worthy of displaying computer screens, you might as well just by a monitor.

Your TV will not burn out, plain and simple. Like its been stated before, you will not get good performance for anything other than video, but otherwise it will work fine. And I wouldn't dish out for a monitor if the screen is going to be used for movies... monitors have horrible viewing angles compared to any TV, LCD or otherwise. Lower resolution TVs simple handle angles better. You'd have to get a pretty expensive monitor to combat that problem.

EDITTED: Rude Comment Omitted

Shirtbird said:
I want to get a new widescreen monitor 26-30 in.(my video card can support vga, dvi, s-cable) Well my brother told me that if I were to cheap out and get a s-video rather than a dvi tv that it will only last 1-2 years; and will burn out while using it as a monitor. I think thats wrong. Anyone know how it works? Thanks

WTF ?

Ok, I've been wondering this too, but not the same problem as him, or may it be?

Anyways simple terms, I want to watch Movies from my PC to my TV.

What connector does it use?

ApM said:
Anyways simple terms, I want to watch Movies from my PC to my TV.

What connector does it use?

Make sure you have a video card with S-VHS out.
Otherwise I do know that there is some manufactures (Leadtek) do sell seperate PCI TV out Cards.
Otherwise you can get a VGA to S-VIDEO Coverter box which is a too F-Expensive for what they do.

Best option is to make sure your video card has TV out.
And then all you need a cables to contect from your Computer S-Video Out To TV In
And again from your sound card to Audio Left and Right Channel on your Tv.

I'm sure it has a TV-Out due to it came with the Nvidia connector, it's a PNY Gefore 6600GT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom