Another project thread by gurusan :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gurusan

Golden Master
So I've just finished my 2nd millet starving student build, this time using a PCB. (This is a headphone amplifier BTW)

Sounds great and a lot quieter than my messy P2P build...however the balance seems quite a bit off...got to look into that one. Other than that it sounds fantastic and I've graduated from plastic maplin boxes lol.
img4417t.jpg
img4418.jpg

Here's a pic of the internals. I used arctic silver 5 epoxy that I had laying around to bond the mosfets to the top of the chassis (insulator in between). I also used some cheap thermal paste in between the heatsink and the chassis.

There are a lot of layers of thermal interfaces but the amp has been playing Metallica, Deliverance, and various electronic music for over an hour now and I just checked the mosfets with a temp probe and they are 46-48C so the heatsink and chassis seem to be doing about 15C better than my old to-220 sinks as the mosfets on my old SSMH were about 58-65C

1111hzo.jpg

This is really an awesome headphone amp and pretty affordable in audio terms (it's called the starving student after all).

also here are some pics through some of the brainstorming process/choosing heatsink/building:

capturedtu.png
capturezmj.png

42260689.jpg

img4390q.jpg
img4391.jpg

If I could just get you to build me a 7 mono channel rated at 300 watts per channel amp. lol

that will probably be your next project

If I could just get you to build me a 7 mono channel rated at 300 watts per channel amp. lol

that will probably be your next project

Guru, whats the output power on this thing ? 0.2watts ? Oh and i just remembered, if they're new capacitors and cables.. your supposed to play the amp for 200hours before listening to 'let the electrons/atoms all point in the same direction as the flow of current' :freak: personally i don't know how people come up with this stuff.

@ Eric

Why would you wat 300watts per channel ? I can't even find full tower speakers that have a reccomended higher than 200watt :p Or is this 300wpc amp for your car ?

edit:

I found one ! it has 2x 8inch woofer, 1x 6.5inch mid range, and a 1inch soft dome tweeter. But this thing is huge and weighs 160pounds, it's a Dali Euphonia MS5.

the more power you have the less effort it takes to drive your speakers, the less chance that you have on clipping or driving odd ball load with them. have you ever heard the saying "too much power is barely enough"

I use a receiver to drive my speaker now. I used to use all amps to drive. I sol my amps on ebay when I started getting 3-400 a month electric bills. my old paradigm sounded a lot better when I was driving them with my adcom 555 mk II which was rated at 200 wpc into 8ohms but actually did 300 and and it did 990 x 2 at 1ohm.

Yeh i understand that, and have herd the saying. But if more power is always better, why do speaker manufacturers suggest an upper limit on amplifier ratings, such as 200watt to 300watt. If more is always better, why not just 200watt or more ?

Yeh i understand that, and have herd the saying. But if more power is always better, why do speaker manufacturers suggest an upper limit on amplifier ratings, such as 200watt to 300watt. If more is always better, why not just 200watt or more ?

because brute (who more than likely wouldn't be in this conversation anyway) would use that extra power for more distortion and would kill their speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom