Alternative to iPod?

Status
Not open for further replies.
EricB said:
I have 2 (one for my wife). ipod is driving sony electronics out of business.

Ummm...... it's just one product. You think one product is going to bankrupt a whole corporation? Sorry pal, ain't happening.

Also, iPod USED to be the best player out there - people buy them now because they simply don't know any better. No researching done, they just know the name, so they buy it. It's trendy technology, and bad trendy technology at that. Touch pads were a terrible idea. Sorry, world, but that's my opinion. I prefer not to have to look at my player to make it work.

Eagleboy said:
Ummm...... it's just one product. You think one product is going to bankrupt a whole corporation? Sorry pal, ain't happening.

you didn't see prime time or sixty minutes the other day?

again, its no use. Anyone who doesn't have one is going to fight about it... oh well. If it is a trendy technology, then how did it get that way? Certainly not because they dont work... its because the DO work and people started spreading them around and now they've become VERY well known.

Its not just because people go buy one for the heck of buying one... they know iPods work. You dont hear much about iRiver.... wonder why? Not as good? Creative? You hear a little more, but not much. Why? Not as well known yet... if they keep up their reputation, they'll be up there with iPod.

Oh well. My iPod still works great... and so does EricB's.... seems to be interesting that all of my stuff and EricB's stuff works pretty darn good even tho everyone else has to bash us that we're wrong.

:eek: :p

I'm not bashing you - I'm just saying that it's trend. iRiver and Creative aren't as well known because they're not trendy like the iPod is. I had a shuffle once - got stolen because of the Apple logo. Nobody's ever oogled over my Zen Touch, other than people looking into buying a decent MP3 player that doesn't have the Apple brand on it.

iRiver is an AMAZING player, I think it's better than the Creative offerings and the Apple offerings - but people just simply don't know about it.

PS - you said if these two companies "kept up their reputation", they'd be where Apple is. Sorry, but Creative has been making MP3 players far longer than Apple has been, and their reputation for audio products is outstanding. Like I said, trend.

One trend that Apple started is the touch pad. WTF. That assumes that the user has to be looking at the player to work it. Buttons are the way to go, and the iRiver has a fantastic interface. Touch technology shouldn't be on MP3 players, I think. I say this after using my Zen Touch for almost a year and using a Nano for a few days. If I could get rid of it, I would.

And, Apple overcharges. $30 is pretty much the cheapest you can pay for any accessory, and the player itself sells for more than it should. You never see any sales or low prices on iPods either, because they're so trendy that it'll sell at most any price. Used players go for almost the same people bought them for new on ebay. There's something wrong with THAT trend...

I wouldn't mind having an iPod, but after using their crappy software, crappy touchpad, and dealing with helping friends send in their broken iPods (there's no buffer area to soften drops or anything. no protection whatsoever. MP3 players will be dropped no matter what - Apple should take this into account when designing the case. This broken iPod thing happens quite often), I simply won't spend my money on one. My money is better spent for $100 less for an MP3 player of equal or better quality (Zen Touch). Considering an iRiver in the future, but Apple won't be getting a cent of my money.

PPS - OMG LIKE TV IS ALWAYS RIGHT
Trust me. One product. Sony isn't even in the running for high-end MP3 players. They have a couple of flash -based models. Meanwhile they deal with console systems, cameras (just released a fantastic camera in the $1000 range that prosumers will eat up), camcorders, car stereos, gps systems, TVs, displays, DVD players, laptops, desktops, headphones, amps, speakers, recordable media, etc.
One product taking down a corporation like Sony? Sorry. Don't even kid yourself - everything you see on TV isn't true. Even if it is on a news program like Primetime or 60 Minutes, don't assume it's true. Everything is fallible - even your iPod and my Zen.

you said if these two companies "kept up their reputation", they'd be where Apple is. Sorry, but Creative has been making MP3 players far longer than Apple has been, and their reputation for audio products is outstanding. Like I said, trend.

Yes... i know that, but if they keep it going and try to spread it around more like apple, then they'd get there. You dont hear much (advertising wise) about creative... actually, none. Apple is all over. I wonder why they sell more? Advertising.

"I wouldn't mind having an iPod, but after using their crappy software, crappy touchpad, and dealing with helping friends send in their broken iPods (there's no buffer area to soften drops or anything. no protection whatsoever. MP3 players will be dropped no matter what - Apple should take this into account when designing the case. This broken iPod thing happens quite often), I simply won't spend my money on one. My money is better spent for $100 less for an MP3 player of equal or better quality (Zen Touch). Considering an iRiver in the future, but Apple won't be getting a cent of my money."

1. iSkin
2. Dont drop it... if your gonna spend your money on something like that, take care special care not to.
3. iPods have a metal case... what do you want? Titanium or diamond? Oh wait... PLASTIC.... the stuff that breaks and can't be replaced.... forgot about that one. Think of them as a portable running hard drive. Would you take out your hard drive from your PC and start dropping it and treating it like a piece of scrap? No... most likely it would be in a static-resistant bag, ext. case, or something of that nature. Same idea, only smaller and has a screen.

Your Zen can have the EXACT same problems.

I think one of the major successes of the iPod is the touch wheel. If you dont look at the screen, then how do you know what your selecting to listen to? Why buy an mp3 with a screen if you dont want to look at it anyway? The iPod does have buttons... 5 of them. The only thing the touch wheel does is to navigate up and down and change volume levels. Same for your Zen, when your browsing through your artists, you HAVE to look at it, so whats the big deal? Unless your Zen magically talks to you and tells you what is on the screen, then that isn't a very good point against the touch wheel... you have to do the same with buttons.

Oh well.... this could go on forever. Zens are great... iRivers are great... i looked at both of them before i got iPod. When i read most of the review of iRiver, their interface sucked (if it was still intact- most were broken). When i looked at iPod, the only major problems were software (Which i can fix), hard drive (dont drop it) and battery (got the new version Mini with new design battery - runs 25 hours...with a charge still left - i just needed to leave and didn't want to sit around waiting for it to die anymore).

its all preference.

Okay, here's my deal about the touchpads. I know my playlists. When I'm driving, I don't want to have to look at my mp3 player screen to select a song - I want to be able to push buttons without looking and get to the song I want.

And yes, the iPod does have a metal case. But there's no SPACE around the harddrive to give it padding. Apple was so determined to make a small player, that I personally think that they neglected to protect the hard drive. I don't drop my Zen, but this is a portable media player. People drop their keys all the time because they simply have them around all the time. People also have MP3 players around all the time, and as such MP3 players will be dropped. Accidents happen. I think I already responded to your comment about "Same things can happen to your Zen". I admitted that the Zen isn't perfect (I'm regretting the touch-technology now), as no MP3 player is perfect. The three players that we're talking about are very very good, pretty much on the same level, so yes - it is all preference.

I just get annoyed at people who simply buy it because they don't know what else is out there. They see other people with it so they buy it, not even researching anything else. Truly annoying on a college campus..... Also when a 1gb shuffle gets stolen primarily because of the logo. Like I said, I wouldn't mind owning an iPod, but my money wouldn't be spent on one.

Eagleboy said:
Okay, here's my deal about the touchpads. I know my playlists. When I'm driving, I don't want to have to look at my mp3 player screen to select a song - I want to be able to push buttons without looking and get to the song I want.

I access my song directly through my alpine cd player. My friend access his through his pioneer and my neighbor his kenwood. your player will never be able to do that. I have a 40 gig cd changer

http://www.alpine-usa.com/en/products/product.php?model=KCA-420i

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom