Advice on Professional Studio Microphones

Status
Not open for further replies.

bsteel

Baseband Member
I just wanna see what kind of response I get here.. Broadly speaking, can anyone give a detailed perspective of their opinion on microphones. I am looking to upgrade from my 100$ condenser mic to a better one. But I want to know the things to look for in a mic and why. And what mic should I get a condenser or a ribbon.. or something else? My main goal is to get a great crisp vocal sound. I normally want to go for a flat frequency response, but there are a lot of mics out have dips and peaks in their frequency response charts. My guess is I'm probably still gonna want a flat response so I may EQ the vocal myself. Can someone point me in the right direction to a nice mic. btw i do record at my desk seeing as I'm recording myself. i know thats bad seeing as it's in my kitchen/living room (because of the refrigerator and the computer so the mic can pick that up.) but I kinda shimmy my way around that. I would like it to be self powered if possible.. Long lasting too but that doesn't really matter as long as it's got a good warranty. other than that I look forward to your thoughts.

What mic do you have currently? Also, what's your budget?

Depending on your voice, I usually like to keep to a bit of a clean mic because warmth can always be added back in with tubes, compression and limiting, or even simply some crafty subtractive EQ.

Let me know a price range, and we can go from there. Otherwise, I'm gonna have to recommend a Neumann U47 :p

EDIT: The U47 is worth around $16k... without the pre.

well.. um price range is kind of negotiable.. i'm willing to wait a while and get a good mic or buy one now.. here's what i got goin on.. i have a cakewalk power studio 660 and an mxl 990 mic. Lets say my range is 0-2000$ but don't kill me.

I heard very good things about blue mics.

But i really believe that a high end preamp can make a cheaper mic sound much better. mxl is dfienelty not the greatest...i have an AKG perception and the mic sounds wonderful for the price. very nice build quality as well.

Doesnt matter if you record at your desk.....ive recorded songs in my room that have made it onto the radio.

Considering a higher budget, for $1k, one of my favorites is the C414 (who cares which model).

AKG | C414B/XL2 Studio Microphone | 3059 Z 00020 | B&H Photo

Amazing microphone.

If you want cheaper, I would stick with the Blue mic's. They make some excellent mics for the money. I dont have too much experience with them, but from what I have used, they are quite good.

Of course, you can't go wrong with Neumann, but your wallet will commit suicide. Maybe a TLM103, but I would get the AKG above before I got the neumann 103.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom