AC97 and dolby digital 5.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rookie1010

Fully Optimized
Hi
can some one tell me how AC97 and Dolby 5.1 are related?
My motherboard GA 81875 Ultra has got AC97 integrated in it's south bridge chip(correct me if i was wrong there) and i want to know now if i have got the real thing

My motherboard GA 81875 Ultra has got AC97 integrated in it's south bridge chip(correct me if i was wrong there) and i want to know now if i have got the real thing

You want something like Creative SoundBlaster Audigy or just about anything from Turtle Beach. That's the real thing, man.

AC97 has analog stereo only.

You only have three 1/8" jacks for your sound, correct? Mic, Speaker, and Headphone. No SP/DIFs or DINs right?

AC97 is a common onboard audio, as it is basic technology and inexpensive. Good enough for the typical computer user, but you'll never get the 'Real Thing' onboard.

what is analog stereo, and why is it not as good as the real thing. what is the real thing anyway.

i am pasting some details about my integrated sound card.

Gigabyte GA-81875 Ultra. The Sound card on board is a Realtek ALC658 UAJ CODEC.
According to the manual it says
Suports Jack-Sensing funcion
Line Out/2 front speaker
Line In/2 rear speaker(by s/w switch)
Min in/center & subwoofer (by s/w switch)
SPDIF In/Out
CD In/AUX In/Game port
Universal Audio Jack

the motherboard comes with this extra socket which plugs in, and gives you an extra 2 connections, and also that SPDIF, how can i use that

i had a problem connecting my headphone, mic.
i think i might have been able to fix it, only will be abel to make sure when some one comes online, unless you guys can sugest a litmus test
i tried yahoo audio setup wizard. on step2 of 5:microphone
I hit record and the microphone volume, the bar went to max.
as i spoke the microphone volume adjusted itself, the bar slid down.

i also feels the system kind of hangs if i do something wrong with the 3 plugs.

do i really need that audigy thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom