64MB ATI All-In-Wonder 9000

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveR

Beta member
I'm trying to learn as much as I can before choosing which XP Media Center Edition PC to buy. My top choice so far is a fully loaded Dell 8300 MCE with a 20.1" Dell UltraSharp Flat Panel Monitor. Image viewing quality is high on my list of priorities. The Dell comes with the ATI All-in-Wonder card which doesn't support DVI. I'm far from an expert but my research tells me that a DVI
connection to the monitor makes a noticeable difference. I'd appreciate the benefit of this board's collective wisdom regarding this card. I guess this is the only ATI with a TV tuner, but:
Will the lack of a DVI connection make a difference?
Does the 64MB card vs. 128 or 256 also make a difference?
If I were smarter, what else would I be asking about?

[Will the lack of a DVI connection make a difference?]
I'm sure that DVI connects to LCD (flat panel) displays. Those are the monitors that are about 2" thick and are really expensive. Are yiou sure that the 20.1" Flat Panel Monitor isn't a CRT (the big, beautiful, bulky monitors that we all love)? Otherwise I don't think it will connect properly... or maybe I'm just crazy!

[Does the 64MB card vs. 128 or 256 also make a difference?]
Only if you're gaming on the system. The 64 MB is merely for texture memory, and anything abopve 64MB would be pretty extreme if you're only using this for presentations, video editing, and the like. I think ATI makes a 128 MB version of the All-IN-Wonder now, however.

[If I were smarter, what else would I be asking about?]
I'm not sure what you're going to use the machine for (gaming, editing, internet, etc.), so it's hard to say. The questions that you asked were good ones, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom