2.0 stereo PC sound opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

raverx3m

Daemon Poster
i just spent about 500 dollars on my living room setup for my new appartment which includes
monitor audio floorstanders(BR6) and onkyo receiver

i left my Logitech Z-2300 for my parents to enjoy

and now i want to go with a different setup for my PC

personally i enjoy stereo sound more than surround and prefer to have no subwoofer

so id like to get some suggestions from audio gurus as to what choice of components i have
heres what im looking for
size:small/medium bookshelf box with 5-5.2' woofer and some nice titanium tweeter(or silk if no titanium available) somwhere in range of 25-40 watts rms

amp:a 2 channel with a digital input (or whatever input will give me the best sound) that also has a good headphone amp.

soundcard: best 2 channel sound output and less noise.
i do now care about rest of channels in fact i have not listened to multichannel sound in about 3 years and dont miss it.
why?

a set of klipschschhschs 5.1 speakers killed it for me few years ago

how much i want to spend? no more than 400 on all ( if thats possible) if not then i dont object if someone would give me a reasonable options for that price.

my speaker choices were yamaha, or a DIY kit from partsexpress

amp no idea,
soundcard i do not have enough technicall knowledge to pick the best out of the bunch...

No this is the right area. But it was the weekend and people have families and other things to attend to. Give it time. Someone who knows will be by to answer your question or give advice when they can.

Get active monitor speakers, they include Amps in the speaker itself and thus do not need an External Amplifier like on passive speakers (hi-fi speakers you find on your Monitor Audio/Onkyo setup)

I am not sure where to buy monitor speakers from in the US. But generally look for the following brands: Mackie, Adam, M-Audio, Samson, Alesis are okay, Behringer (some people do not like them, i love them), Tannoy, Fostex, Genelec, JBL. These selection of Active Monitor manufacturers range from extremely high end to mainstream recording (okay). None of them produce bad sounding monitors.

So just find some in your price range i guess, you can't really go wrong. It wouldn't be my place to reccomend you a specific pair, as i have only owned one pair of active monitors (Behringer B2030A's, which i do love)

Soundcards, you will need a studio soundcard. Something from Juli, M-Audio, E-MU are good. I have the EMU-0404.

You will need the right cables too, Balanced is the way to go (if your monitors support balanced inputs) you can usually either use XLR (prefered choice) or 1/4" TRS Cables.

If you search for these products, and list your choices and link them to this thread i can tell you if they'll all be compatible with each other.

Or wait until one fo the more informed members in this particular audio field advises you otherwise.

Good Luck,
Thanks.

so it wouldnt make much sense to buy an external 2 channel amp?
are the headphone preamps good on the studio monitors.
cuz i bought audio technica ATH-A900 headphones that do need a good amp for them

but i dont know if theres an amplifier that runs straight from USB that would be a perfect solution for me. but i havent seen any.

its for my bedroom so it doesnt have to be loud just clean.

and i also assume that i should go with a USB soundcard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom